Author Topic: Fuel line  (Read 5923 times)

DocDiesel

• View Profile
Fuel line
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:06:46 AM »
Are there fuel lines available for this style tank mount, or should I make a new line.  It appears to be set up for a hole in the center of the tank rather than on the end or am I just missing something?  The banjo bolt for the filter output doesn't fit well.  I think it is supposed to be either 5/8" or 3/4" and the one I have is 1/2".  I will hopefully reach DES for a bolt.  Any suggestions?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Fuel line
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:37 AM »
Looks like you got two bolts for the fuel pump instead of one for it and one for the fuel filter. You need to dress up those flat surfaces where the copper washers go, no paint and no burrs and both on the filter housing and on the banjo on the line or the connection will leak like a screen door. Also that fitting where the injector bleed line attaches needs to be removed and you will fing string around it that is supposed to act like a seal, NOT. Needs a fiber or rubber washer. A couple good things to have around when working on or running one of these engines is copper and fiber washer kits. They have both at HF for less than $10 each and will save mulitple trips to town and heartburn over leaks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:38:04 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:21:50 AM »
Looks like the wrong line was supplied there, I will do some digging and comparing for you. It would appear that they swapped tank types on us somewhere in the middle of this batch. We have plenty of extra lines of various types on the shelf. We also should have correct size banjo bolts.

Is it possible that the tank itself can slide to the left enough to reach that fitting with a little reforming or slight re-shaping of the line?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DocDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:23 AM »
I'm guessing it's the wrong line too.  If the tank would have had a tap in the middle, it might have worked ok.  The tap is clear on the end with no chance of bending that much.  I checked the old tank with the big dent in it and the rust problem and it also had the tap clear on the end.  I would like to install the correct line if you have one Gary, but if you don't, I suppose I could cobble it, using some rubber tubing, but that wouldn't look very impressive.  Let me know what you find out, thanks.  I'm getting itchy to get it running...

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:23 AM »
What about cutting the low pressure line from the tank, and using rubber hose to splice the hardlines?  I just finished grinding the crimp fittings off the indian rubber lines and putting bio-diesel rated line on mine.   

Thanks for the tip for washer kits at H.F.  I'll have to look that up.

fuelfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
I had to do some major bending of the fuel line on the 8/1 to make it work. Sometime it could get the "fuel hose" treatment.

DocDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
Hey Farmer, that's a nice looking Big Wheel. Did you have any issues with your Listeroid before you got it running besides the fuel line?
 Have you put yours to work yet or is it just for show?

fuelfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:45:22 AM »
There was a nasty leak from the water jacket cover under the fuel filter. Some cast iron was broken where the gasket seated. I welded and ground the surface flat and it still leaked. Water was still leaking out where the useless set screw thingy is, so I welded shut the hole in the cover, removed the set screw. I think the cast had some pores where the set screw threads were cut.

I have a generator to install soon. Then I will have a working toy when the power is out for days on end like it was this summer.   

richardhula

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
You could try Dowty washers as used on hydraulic fittings, each side of the banjo fittings. They seal better than copper washers especially if the mating surfaces are compromised.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
After researching our parts supplies, it is apparent that those fuel supply lines were bent for a slightly different tank style. Several quick-fixes have been suggested here, re-bend the line or replace it with flexible hose. The Indians have done both.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DocDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
My fuel filter's banjo bolt surfaces were pretty rough, I dressed them down with a file and repainted.  They look pretty good and should seal ok.  I've had a little experience with them before.  In a pinch I've used "O" rings to replace a copper washer temporarilly.  I've used the heavy string gasket like the Indians in a pinch as well.  I do coat the string gasket with a little silicone seal for a little extra insurance. 
I don't think I can bend the pipe I have to make the fittings work without kinking it.  If I was able, it sure would look ugly.
If I can't get the correct pipe, I think I'll cut the pipe and I'll have to use Viton tube between the ends, since I make and burn bio diesel.