Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cold start oil cup  (Read 5267 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Cold start oil cup
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
My Lister ST-1 has that little nylon? oil cup I assume its to help cold starts whats the propper use of it.?? thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Cold start oil cup
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
Hello Frank,
                 Yes the cup is handy for cold starts or when the engine has stood a long time and oil has drained away from rings etc. A Lister in top condition and with the rack in the start (excess fuel) position should start fine as long as you can crank it over smartly. If it seems un willing, then fill the cup once with oil and push the plunger down. This drops the measured amount into the intake, and it drops into the cylinder as the valve opens. this raises compression for extra heat and seals any slight leaks round rings and valves.Don't be tempted to use more than one shot at a time.You can break rings and lands through hydraulic lock. A second shot is OK if you have cranked it over a few turns on compression and blown the surplus oil out the exhaust.  A lighter grade of engine oil helps if an engine is heavy to crank at low temperatures. Good tough old motor, the ST. Best of luck with it.  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
Fill cup 1/3 only, and maximum usage would be 3 times in succession.
Rotate engine 20 revolutions to distribute the oil prior to starting.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
My SL1 has one of those and it is stuck. I removed the entire unit from the manifold, heated it with a propane torch, soaked it for months with Blaster and still stuck?  Must confess that I dont know how to work it? Does it simply pull out or threaded or ??
Thanks Butch
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
Butch,

Your SL probably still has the brass plunger and barrell. The plunger can be a fairly snug fit inside the barrell but it is not held in place with anything other than friction (corrosion or dirt). The current replacement parts are nylon/plastic and can be easily replaced when damaged, they will interchange or we can get an original brass piece for you.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Thanks Gary,
Now that I know how it works I can first try a bit more force to break it loose.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
Wile we're on the subject many engines that have sat a wile are helped by a squirt of oil in the cylinder none more so than the wisconsin air cooled.They were the classic hay bailer engine and wood lie fallow most of the year and when needed would be a bear to start due to low compression [dry rings] pull the plugs and a squirt of oil and an instant ring job. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.