Author Topic: Crankcase Pre-Heater  (Read 22509 times)

kyradawg

Crankcase Pre-Heater
« on: June 15, 2006, 04:30:17 AM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:34:12 AM by kyradawg »

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Crankcase Pre-Heater
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:32:38 AM »
Just a modern variant on the old 2 stroke total loss lube system.

In fact with all the prior art I don't see how it is patentable, USPO no doubt, patent anything there..... it's gonna need one hell of a fuel filtration system if you want your pump and injectors to last more than a few thousand hours

As far as listers go it at a stroke removes the multifuel capability too, listers have a beautifully elegant and simple lube system that has been proven to last many tens of thousand of hours, you can't improve on that by making something as complex as this will have to be to work reliably and safely
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:52:19 AM »
I wonder if all that mechnical movement airates the oil.  The fuel system wouldnt like that would it?

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:08:49 PM »
Also, doesnt a lister have a problem of keeping it oil at the proper temperature anyhow?  (to cold)

kyradawg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:47:33 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:33:24 AM by kyradawg »

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:52:27 PM »
No, I mean even with regular oil the lister in some peoples opinion does not get the oil hot enough for a single weight oil to flow properly, ie the case is so large it disapates the heat to quickly.  There have ben discussions on the board as to adding a crankcase heater, although I dont know if anyone has done so.  If that is the case how does one expect it to heat the vegtable oil(or any oil) up to 160/180 degrees and maintain that temp through the long journey to the injectors? Add a tank to take the air out and you have lowered the temp even more.  On a higher horsepower/lower weight engine I might see it working. 

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »
Here is an interesting idea. How about using the cooling jacket of a Listeroid to heat the VO. A thermostatic controlled heat exchanger could be used to dump the extra heat. It would also eliminate the freeze and rust problems associated with water. I'd bet the head gaskets would not weep VO either.

With the location of the "water" outlet in relation to the injector and pump a insulated coax line could be easily made to keep the fuel warm on its way to the injector.  8)
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 06:48:45 PM »
if I was going to add a fuel heater to my genuine lister I'd make up a maze block and bolt it to the barrel on the flats where the fuel tank mounts often go, need any more, use resistance wire.

I instinctively hate wrapping copper tube around the exhaust for 2 reasons.

1/ if it leaks and you are running under load, you might get a fire
2/ copper leeches into the fuel and eventually buggers up the pump and injectors
--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 06:51:37 PM »
Here is an interesting idea. How about using the cooling jacket of a Listeroid to heat the VO. A thermostatic controlled heat exchanger could be used to dump the extra heat. It would also eliminate the freeze and rust problems associated with water. I'd bet the head gaskets would not weep VO either.

With the location of the "water" outlet in relation to the injector and pump a insulated coax line could be easily made to keep the fuel warm on its way to the injector.  8)

oil carries a lot lower heat load than water, it is a good idea, and you'd possibly get away with it if drawing lister  start-o-matic style 1/2 max bhp tops, but it has one real massive drawback

if the head gasket goes, you have a runaway.
--

kyradawg

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:31:59 AM by kyradawg »

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 08:27:25 PM »
Darren,

In the spirit of full disclosure, shouldn't you mention what you're running your veggie in?  And that because of the differences in technology, YMMV? 

Halfnuts

kyradawg

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 09:05:21 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:30:12 AM by kyradawg »

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 09:42:56 PM »
He's humble too!   :o

Halfnuts

kyradawg

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 09:49:49 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:31:11 AM by kyradawg »

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 10:19:48 PM »

I want a Listeroid BAD! but I am simply to poor to obtain one, when I do I have a clear plan laid out to increase its efficency and mechanical longevity.

mine is 50+ years old, still runs sweet as a nut (prime the oil pump, three cranks, take the start handle OFF, and THEN reach over to release decompressor, first lump every time) and bugger all fuel consumption.

you won't be able to improve on that as long as you have a hole in your ass.
--