Alternative fuels > Straight Vegetable Oil

Crankcase Pre-Heater

<< < (2/7) > >>

Firebrick:
No, I mean even with regular oil the lister in some peoples opinion does not get the oil hot enough for a single weight oil to flow properly, ie the case is so large it disapates the heat to quickly.  There have ben discussions on the board as to adding a crankcase heater, although I dont know if anyone has done so.  If that is the case how does one expect it to heat the vegtable oil(or any oil) up to 160/180 degrees and maintain that temp through the long journey to the injectors? Add a tank to take the air out and you have lowered the temp even more.  On a higher horsepower/lower weight engine I might see it working. 

Tom:
Here is an interesting idea. How about using the cooling jacket of a Listeroid to heat the VO. A thermostatic controlled heat exchanger could be used to dump the extra heat. It would also eliminate the freeze and rust problems associated with water. I'd bet the head gaskets would not weep VO either.

With the location of the "water" outlet in relation to the injector and pump a insulated coax line could be easily made to keep the fuel warm on its way to the injector.  8)

GuyFawkes:
if I was going to add a fuel heater to my genuine lister I'd make up a maze block and bolt it to the barrel on the flats where the fuel tank mounts often go, need any more, use resistance wire.

I instinctively hate wrapping copper tube around the exhaust for 2 reasons.

1/ if it leaks and you are running under load, you might get a fire
2/ copper leeches into the fuel and eventually buggers up the pump and injectors

GuyFawkes:

--- Quote from: Tom on June 15, 2006, 06:46:05 PM ---Here is an interesting idea. How about using the cooling jacket of a Listeroid to heat the VO. A thermostatic controlled heat exchanger could be used to dump the extra heat. It would also eliminate the freeze and rust problems associated with water. I'd bet the head gaskets would not weep VO either.

With the location of the "water" outlet in relation to the injector and pump a insulated coax line could be easily made to keep the fuel warm on its way to the injector.  8)

--- End quote ---

oil carries a lot lower heat load than water, it is a good idea, and you'd possibly get away with it if drawing lister  start-o-matic style 1/2 max bhp tops, but it has one real massive drawback

if the head gasket goes, you have a runaway.

kyradawg:

Peace&Love :D, Darren

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version