Alternative fuels > Straight Vegetable Oil

Crankcase Pre-Heater

<< < (6/7) > >>

Halfnuts:
Do we HAVE to?  We were just beginning to have some fun.

Ok.  The engine would have to be totally redesigned.  Thinner lubricant means closer tolerances and larger bearing surface areas to maintain lube film integrity.  What you're proposing is how every 2-stroke outboard works, except they are lubed by atomized fuel/oil mixture, not by splash, and therefore don't suffer the parasitic drag from slinging all that oil around its chit'lins.  As long as you're doing this, why not just make the engine a 2-stroke.  The blown GM 2-stroke diesels were legendary workhorses. 

If that idea has indeed been granted a patent, it must be written very narrowly.  Lots of prior art has passed under the bridge in the last century.

Halfnuts

Tom:
Guy,

Who said the VO used as coolant was going to be pressurized. Also diesels do not have manifold vacuum so the suck is very, very small.

Let me ask you this have you ever seen a diesel blowing steam? Every diesel head gasket failure I've seen blows fuel into the coolant, so in this case the fuel would just be recycled another bonus.  :-*

GuyFawkes:

--- Quote from: Tom on June 16, 2006, 04:39:20 PM ---Guy,

Who said the VO used as coolant was going to be pressurized. Also diesels do not have manifold vacuum so the suck is very, very small.

Let me ask you this have you ever seen a diesel blowing steam? Every diesel head gasket failure I've seen blows fuel into the coolant, so in this case the fuel would just be recycled another bonus.  :-*

--- End quote ---

the coolant will be pressurised the moment the gasket blow, and on the blow and suck strokes the pressure inside the coolant system will exceed cylinder pressure, and you'll get leakback, and 0.05 cc of leakback will give you full throttle with the rack shut down

kyradawg:
Halfnuts,

No need in adjusting clearances canola (rapeseed) oil is the same viscosity as SAE30WT (straight 30)

Like I stated before I run canola oil in the crankcase of my 6.9 diesel and have seen no reduction in oil pressure If canola was to "light" there would be a corresponding loss of oil pressure.

Actually I cant swear to it but I think Ive noticed a slight rise in oil pressure at operating temps do to the higher thermal stability inherent to canola.

Tom,

The intake valve opens 7* before top dead center (piston is down in the hole .024" +-.001) on a listeroid which means that the intake valve is open before the intake stroke even begins, so it is impossible for the intake stroke to pull harder on the head gasket than it does the intake port. The only real contributer to combustion chamber contamination from the cooling medium is cooling system pressure.

Guy,

According to my and Mr Lister's calculations the full rack pump shot volume of a 6/1 mico pump is .110cc's.
.05cc's would be right around half racked.

Peace&Love :D, Darren

SHIPCHIEF:
Reguarding the crankcase oil temperature;
I installed a marine gear oil cooler in the jacket water upleg, then ran the oil pump outlet to it before sending it to the engine. The oil came up to running temp in a few minutes, just like the jacket water did. Anyone can do it, and it may be the best way to cope with the detergent oils that were not available when RA Lister designed the CS.  The Listeroids don't have the complex crankcase casting of the Lister, so there is no real quiet area for the particulate matter to settle out of the oil. Although some Posters have noted that the oil tends to "sort it'self" anyway. So: all the twins and some of the singles have oil pumps. Do it, and add a full flow oil filter. If you don't have a pump, use a Hotater oil filter at least.
New oil from the drum or jug might not be so clean. We use a lubrifiner filter on all oil for our controllable pitch propellers before we drop it from the storage tank to the sump. If you were to use bean oil as lube, then as fuel, you should filter it in stages: Coarse, fine, into the sump. Full flow in the engine, and fine in the fuel line. After some experience, you might be able to reduce that.  Brevity is the soul of wit, and an engineer would do well to design the same way (that's why we like Listers).
Well, I have not designed for brevity, so take my advice at the price you paid for it. I went for personal satisfaction and amusement. On the other hand, I was both pleased and amused (must not take much?)
Scott E

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version