Author Topic: Sound asleep in the shed  (Read 5211 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Sound asleep in the shed
« on: December 26, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
Would it be better to let my ST-1 air cooled Lister  rest undesturbed in the cold weather than to bring it to life for test cycles,its strictly a backup unit.I like to hear them run too but cold starts are tough on diesels. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Sound asleep in the shed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
Protect it from freeze-thaw cycles, and of course from rain or moisture and also rodents. If you don't need it ready to go, no need to run it. There is a "laying up" procedure to protect from storage damages... mostly adding some extra lubrication protection to upper cylinders and closing up all openings. We also prefer to move the cylinder to TDC, just in case you get condensation inside- (less potential damages and easier to dismantle if seized).

It is the standby sets that are routinely run every month, and they typically are in climate controlled situations. I agree, that you want to avoid cold-starts if possible. If that does become necessary, then change to an appropriate lubrication regimen. That can include lighter weight synthetic oil.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:38:14 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Gary,started the old girl up yesterday,it was around freezing[warm by Alaska standards] it wasen't too excited to come to life.I put one of those radiant heaters on a 20 lb. propane bottle pointed at the head for 20 or so minutes and started easy.My ST-1 Lister has two places I could mount a starter,you have said a Delco will fit,do you happen to know what piece of equipment such a starter would have been used in. Thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
Yes a 10MT Delco with correct rotation and bendix will bolt up to your ST1 fan housing and work properly. These are common in a variety of different types of equipment including forklifts and skid-steer machines using various small diesels. # 1998329, 10 tooth, clockwise, should be the correct item.  :)

dieselgman

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
IMO, unless it is prepped for storage properly, it should be run regularly.  Some sort of preheat like the radiant heater, or a magnetic heater stuck to the block to get the oil loosened up will ease the process.  Just setting there in the shed, the engine "breathes" in that moist winter air every time there is a temperature cycle.  As the oil slowly works its way to the sump, it exposes more and more vital parts for this moist air to condense on. All the condensed moisture ultimately finds it's way into the oil.  Unless you have full time preheat to keep the breathing to a minimum, it needs to get run up to full op temp every now and then to drive the moisture out of the oil and interior, and recoat all the internals with oil...   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Absolutely correct...good internal lubrication and preservation from moisture by closing/sealing up all openings is the recommended laying-up procedure. Do not underestimate the potential for damages often caused by rodents and insects making their homes in your engine. If you can seal it up tight, all the better for long term storage.

dieselgman

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:11:23 AM »
Many thanks Gary.Rodents are a problem with idle machinery.My solution is a simple one mouse traps baited with good old cheese.You will catch 5 or 6 then the numbers will drop off.Micky will want a snack before he builds a nest and pisses in your genset.It also helps to have a clean area around your genset with no nest building material handy. Frank C.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:27:08 AM »
Also a good idea to make sure any air openings on the generator head have expanded metal mesh over them so the mice cannot enter the case.  Look ALL over the gen head.  The ST-5 I have has grates over the side air vents, but the ones underneath that you cannot easilly see, are wide open...

Lack of use is probably the biggest killer of backup generator engines.  You buy the thing from the box store in preparation for that big storm, use it a few hours, then it sets for years in the back of the garage.  Next big storm hits, power goes out, and you think cool, I got a gennie.  Well first thing goes wrong when you pull it out is it won't start.  Once you get the bad gas out and the plug unfouled, you get it online and strut back inside to watch the ballgame laughing at your neighbors setting in the dark.  This goes on for about an hour till the corroded main and rod bearings finally eat themselvs and stuff the rod end thru the case.  This on a new generator with only a few hours on it...  Then of course your neighbors start laughing at you from their dark homes...

Lawnmowers have the same basic engines.  They last so long because they have the benefit of typically being run at least half the year...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.