Puppeteer

Author Topic: 1984 Kohler 8.5kw with Lister ST2  (Read 3319 times)

Craig

• View Profile
1984 Kohler 8.5kw with Lister ST2
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
The seller originally wanted $3200.00 for this set.  It has 200 or so hours on the meter.  I thoiught 3200 was a bit high but he's recently contacted me and will sell it to me for $2250.00.  What do you guys think of this price?  i can load test it to 6kw and check that it holds voltage and frequency.  If it starts and runs well and performs well under a 6k load do you think 2250 is reasonable?

Thanks,

-Craig

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 1984 Kohler 8.5kw with Lister ST2
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
Does it fit your needs?
Look in the exhaust ports and inside crankcase for signs of its true condition as well as how easily it will start and perform under full loads. The ST2 is a solid performer, but the Kohler portion is obsolete and in many cases unserviceable if anything goes wrong with it. Check to see if the engine is equipped with ring gear on the flywheel. If it lacks that, then a later conversion out of the Kohler setup will be more complex and costly. Kohler did not use SAE housings and adapters but rather opted for customized hardware - this makes changing generating hardware a bit of an extra hassle.
That unit should pull 8kW.

$2250 is certainly within reason for a good condition fully operational setup. Ask yourself if it is within your own budget and needs.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations