Author Topic: Cold Start  (Read 3235 times)

fuelfarmer

• View Profile
Cold Start
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
The 8-1 has not been put to work. But I like to start it up just to hear it run every now and then. I often get visitors to see the our little biodiesel set up. It is great fun to fire up the 8-1 on B100 just to show an engine can run on 100% biodiesel.   

It has started on B100 with the temperature around 40F after nights in the upper 20s.  Time will tell how low we can go. So far I have been impressed how easy it starts.

How cold have you hand started your CS without any heat applied, or other help?

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Start
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
Mostly it depends on how much they have been run and how good the compression is, but if you get temps of 20's during the day and 10's at night you will need help.
I took the air filter off rotated the flywheel till the valves were at the overlap point and blew a bottle torch in the intake, it don't take long.
BioDiesel Brewer

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:15:54 AM »
Haven't had to yet but I've got a cheap radiant heater you mount on a 20lb propane bottle.I'll point that at the head of my air cooled Lister for a wile just to take the cold curse off it. Suppose I could mount a starter on it, drilled and tapped with a ring gear. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »
Below about 20, the engine oil gets to be pretty stiff, so hand cranking it up to speed is a real chore.  If you have electricity, a magnetic oil pan heater on the lower case to loosen up the oil  and warm up around the mains would be a big help.  If you don't have power, and can get under the case, a alcohol stove under the case for a little while would probably work wonders on a cold start...

On the top end, I pour a little alcohol in around the injector and light it to preheat the injector and upper HP fuel line.  This aids in that first cold startup.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
We've been down this road before but synthetic oils will give you a cold cranking advantage.My ST-1 Lister cranks from the half speed shaft [camshaft] which means one crank turn, two engine turn, a bear when its cold. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.