Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister Type Parts - The Bahamas  (Read 7262 times)

Rom

• View Profile
Lister Type Parts - The Bahamas
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
Hi all,

Some might have read a thread or two about my involvement with Lister slow turners in the Bahamas, I just wanted to point out to folk down here that I have a pretty large stock of parts here to help with the repair of RA Lister CS and VA series engines available. In stock, in Abaco. I also have 3 VA engines with SoM beds that will require checking over and new fuel systems available. Sheet metal is in semi rough shape, but nothing that cant be repaired.

Parts were imported direct from India and are reasonably priced, duty paid of course.

Send me a private message for more info.

Rom

Rock

• View Profile
Re: Lister Type Parts - The Bahamas
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Hi Rom,
     I just saw your email. I have a  late  60s Sr1  Listor, with a Hawker - Siddeley 3.5 kw generator, in Exuma. I rebuilt the engine 10 years ago, and it runs great. But the gen set has stopped making power, and  there is very little interest or knowledge  of this unit. Do you have a gen head that would work with this unit? Or do you have the ability to fix it or know of any one in the Bahamas that does? Thanks, Regards,  Rock

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Rock,
welcome.
Rom and I are both in Abaco. He just saved me with an Siddley generator ends.
I have a story below and that unit was a Hawker Siddley Genset with a Marathon rear end. ST1 or SR1 engine?
but a few things to check
2. When it stopped working did you have the burnt wire smell?
3. Does the unit have a AVR or just some big ole resisters in the control box area or under one of the covers on the generator, probably at the back end?
4. Does the unit have brushes?
5. Have you found a set of diodes somewhere?
6. What brand rear end?

Some of these questions will help in try to figure out where to look for fixes.

I just finished puting back together a st? 1 with a Marthon 4.75KW end for a friend of mine. Generator and engine shipped up to Abaco from Nassau in two pieces.
Reassembled. Egine started right up--- no power.
After checking this that and the other I found that the stator exciter windings had a break some where. No signs of damage or burning. Probably our fresh salt air.
I had no luck with Lima Marathon in locating a replacement. I talked with someone in Jacksonvile Fla (Their agent that is supposed to cover the Bahamas) who said that he had received a request from Marathon to contact me, but was trying to find out what the part number was and was not having much luck.
My unit was made in 1985 or there abouts and Marathon had no listed part number. Send my Stator Exciter to Jaxsonville Fla had he thought he could match it up with something. He had two stator exciter and felt that one  would work.
Oh! by the way, I asked what are the prices of the stator exciter he was thinking of?
one $1500 and the other $1800   $%$#$ I thought. My buddy paid $2,000 for what he was told was a working unit!!!!
Generator repair guys here in Abaco said dump the gen end and buy a new one, not worth fixing.
The long and the short is that I sent the stator exciter to Bond electric in Nassau, they rewond it for $250.00 plus $10 shipping $5.00 a box each way.
Sometime solutions are just around the corner, so to speak.
The rewind should have been easy. Getting the S/E out is a long story F$&!@&G  story.

Installed it and the gen works great.

Your problems may be simple or not too expensive to fix, but labour can be high if you have to hire someone.
Good luck. l\Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards

Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
Hi Chris R,
   Thank you for your reply. I will try to answer the best I can. The engine re build I got through OK, the generator  is a mystery to me.
     1. The engine is a Lister Sr1 #4607SR1.18
     2. Difficult to tell about wire smell. But wires very brittle. In the end made power off and on, then off, like a short.
     3. This unit has been jury rigged, the control box removed. Of the 5 wires coming out of the back the power is off a pair of two smaller wires. I always knew this was not right. The local who got the generator making power after  I did the re build claimed this was the only way he could make it excite. For10 years it has made enough for my needs and by my meter 115 volts.
    4. Brushes
    5. What would diodes look like, please excuse my ignorance , aluminum  tubes?
    6. The plate on the back says; Hawker-Siddeley  Brush Alternator #49968. 16.   Frame. # SCAF. 1 .17
     Again Many Thanks for your reply , Regards, Rock

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
We do have the manuals for the Brush alternator you are referencing...

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
Hi Chris R,
   Thank you for your reply. I will try to answer the best I can. The engine re build I got through OK, the generator  is a mystery to me.
     1. The engine is a Lister Sr1 #4607SR1.18
     2. Difficult to tell about wire smell. But wires very brittle. In the end made power off and on, then off, like a short.
     3. This unit has been jury rigged, the control box removed. Of the 5 wires coming out of the back the power is off a pair of two smaller wires. I always knew this was not right. The local who got the generator making power after  I did the re build claimed this was the only way he could make it excite. For10 years it has made enough for my needs and by my meter 115 volts.
    4. Brushes
    5. What would diodes look like, please excuse my ignorance , aluminum  tubes?
    6. The plate on the back says; Hawker-Siddeley  Brush Alternator #49968. 16.   Frame. # SCAF. 1 .17
     Again Many Thanks for your reply , Regards, Rock

“Five wires coming out of the back”
Two thick ones and three thin?
A photo of the unit would be good.

Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
Hi,
   I have no manuals for the generator. I believe that there are 5 wires comming out of the top of the generator. 2 heavy wires, two lighter  ones, and one very light one. The power is being made off the two lighter ones. Will be back there in January and can send pictures. Thanks

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:51:06 AM »
Hi,
   I have no manuals for the generator. I believe that there are 5 wires comming out of the top of the generator. 2 heavy wires, two lighter  ones, and one very light one. The power is being made off the two lighter ones. Will be back there in January and can send pictures. Thanks

My experience is with the BKB and Mawdsley units but yours sounds a similar design to the later BKB.
The two thick wires are the battery starter wires (should be 12vdc for the SR).
The two thinner wires are the AC output and the remaining wire should go to a resistor (that would be in the top box) for battery charging.
There is an (age) fault that effects the windings on the BKB but it could be that yours just needs the ‘tails’ from the windings replaced.

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
The above repllies are better than I could come up with.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »

Further diagrams and documents are available if needed!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
Hi
    I want to thank all who have taken time to reply. I feel much better that maybe this unit can be repaired. If it is  the wires from the tails of the windings is that something that I can do? Would it require dismantling and taking apart the generator? Like I said before there is not much help of this kind on Exuma. I have heard good things about  Bond electric in Nausau. Though I haven't  talked to them yet. I guess once I have the unit separated  from the generator , it's  not too huge a task to crate and ship. Would sure be easier to fix on my work bench.
    Again thanks to all who have replied, and hope you'r surrounded by family and friends . Regards, Rock

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
My experience of motor rewinders in the UK is not good. The ones I’ve dealt with don’t seem to understand the workings of the SOM unit and do more damage than good! I was also surprised how many former Lister engineers couldn’t diagnose internal faults on the gennys. I guess it was more economical to just swap the unit in its day.
That’s the reason I taught myself how to repair these wonderful generators.
You may have a better situation where you live.
The tails are soldered to the windings and then insulated before being bolted inside the frame. So, to do the job successfully, the genny needs to be completely striped down. It becomes less daunting after you’ve done it a few times!
I’d do some tests with an insulation tester and multi-meter first. Familiarise yourself with what wires are what and see which wires actually need changing. Some can be replaced with a ‘fish’ (nylon flexi rod with a hook on the end).
Also check the windings for movement in their poles. Early units where ‘spring loaded’ but later ones (61 onward) relied on the insulation to keep them stable, ok when all is new!
Also worth mentioning at this point; you need to isolate the positive battery lead and the battery charge wire until they are connected correctly. The starter windings carry around 40vdc when generation starts, so the battery, if you use one, needs to be isolated at the positive terminal as the engine starts.