Puppeteer

Author Topic: A bit off topic... Question an a Perkins diesel engine  (Read 3555 times)

Craig

• View Profile
A bit off topic... Question an a Perkins diesel engine
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:22:43 PM »
I have a chance to buy a 2002 3 cylinder perkins diesel driving a 12Kw Mecce Alte generator head. Seems to run well. It has 5679 hours on it. The current owner had it at his camp and put all but 400 of the hours on it. He says he kept up with the oil changes etc.

I have 3 questions. Is 5679 hours a lot for a Perkins diesel? How many hours are they good for before needing an overhaul if well maintained? Is Mecce Alte a good brand for a generator head?

Thanks, any and all information appreciated.

-Craig

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: A bit off topic... Question an a Perkins diesel engine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:36:25 PM »
Perkins has a strong history of solid performance and 6000 hours is not much more than 50% service life between overhauls even for a pessimistic outlook. Caterpillar used quite a few Perkins diesels in their small generators and their reputation is sound.

We do not necessarily like the MeccAlte heads, but mostly a matter of ready supplies and personal preference, not any performance related issues I am aware of.

I would take a fairly careful look at water pump, belts and hoses at this hour count. Are the exhaust ports clean and uniform? Does it start easily with minimal cranking? Clean filters? Clean lube oil? Priced right?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
In need of a water pump? Check www.fdrbp.com

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
Thank you both for the info.  The seller has gone dark on me so it all may be moot anyway.

Thanks,

-Craig