Author Topic: "Intercooler"  (Read 4933 times)

johnny williams

• View Profile
"Intercooler"
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:49:12 AM »
Hey Guys Hope all is well in Listeroid Land. An observation and then a question.

Here in NC for the last week the outside temp has been in the mid to upper 90's. My GM 90 6/1 will pull what we use in the house just fine ;D but has been struggling with the AC some, especially if thr fridge and freezer happen to be running at the same time.
Today outside temps are in the mid 70's and the engine loves having the AC on. Cooler air equals more usable air drawn into the cylinder equals better combustion(if I remember correctly).

OK now for the question. Has anyone thought of building an evaporative cooler for the intake to cool the intake air? Would it work? Would it be worth while? Any suggestions?

europachris

• View Profile
Re: "Intercooler"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:12:54 AM »
Not a bad idea!  However, two strikes against it:  1) NC has a lot of humidity.  That won't let you evaporate much water to cool the air compared to say Northern AZ where it's 90 in the summer but 10% humidity.  2) Humid air doesn't make as much power for the same temperature.  The water vapor displaces oxygen (and all the other gasses, for that matter).

This is quite evident on hot days vs. hot and humid days when flying aircraft.  The humidity really takes a toll on the engine output.

Chris

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:27:21 AM »
I have seen evaporative coolers,well actually just fine spray nozzles(for chemical sprayers) mounted in the intake track and in front of the radiators on trucks and rv,s with a small electric pump pressurizing the system.  Do they work?  Yes, at keeping the engine cool pulling hills/mountains.  My grandfather and I installed it on his rv and in the rockies it does wonders, keeps things 20 to 30 degrees cooler and sure does feel like slightly more power, but I cannot prove the latter.  He said that in the mountains in the southeast it doesnt work nearly as well or at all.    Maybe a cooler mounted in the intake track that circulates cold well water would work well but I dont know if the extra power would make up for the power needed to pump the water. 

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 12:55:31 AM »
The water spray to the front end of RVs is usually to cool the transmission fluid.  My dad rigged up a windshield washer pump to squirt water in the front of the radiator to keep the tranny cool pulling a travel trailer.

What's surprised me in the last week in the total lack of old flaxen water bottles that used to hang on every Westerners truck mirrors. I  went looking and finally found them on ebay under antiques!!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:09:45 AM »
Huh.  Funny, but when I had my first car, I hooked up a windshield washer pump and placed a nozzle behind the grille facing FORWARD.  Push a button and the pump would squirt 10 feet to hit pedestrians crossing at crosswalks, or "pee" on the back window of the car in front of me.  Fortunately I was usually through the crosswalk or turned down a sidestreet before anybody ever figured out where the water was coming from.

Kids.  Sheesh!

Halfnuts

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »
Even worse, I took a spare windshield washer nozzle and mounted it in a discrete place in the grill, aimed up and to the right so I could spray people on the sidewalk.  Not just any people, but my buddies and/or class enemies standing around on the sidewalk in front of the youth center on friday and saturday night. That was what you did on the weekend, drive up and down the main drag in our town of 1,100.

Water was fun.  A pint of really cheap perfume mixed in was even more hilarious. That was on my '66 Ford pickup.  That was about as rebelious as I got as  a teenager.

Yeah, kids.

troy

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 11:37:09 PM »
Hi A buddy of mine had a Mack Buldog mounted on his hood with a nozzle in the apropriate place. He had a lot of fun with that and a few fights.

You might consider a little more compression also make sure your aircleaner is not restricting the airflow too much.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time