Puppeteer

Author Topic: New acquisition: Lister LR1  (Read 20136 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New acquisition: Lister LR1
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
I recently bought a cheapo Lister LR1 engine - an air-cooled 2hp @ 900rpm unit which had been sat in a garden for some time.

Surprisingly, the oil looked OK, and there was diesel in the tank, so I had a go at starting it - no joy, I got a few pops and clouds of clag, but nothing resembling an actual running engine...

So, I set to and modded an old car flywheel (turned most of the weight off the outer rim, the LR1 already has a flywheel, it doesn't need another one), turned & milled a hub for it so it would mount onto the Lister's camshaft. 2 bits of flat iron were needed to mount the starter motor, I need a 3rd bit to prevent the starter from flapping about too much when running, and also to ensure it engages properly when the solenoid operates.

I then discovered just how hard a start it really is.... I took this video to show the claggy old beastie firing up. Until she's got a bit of warmth, I just can't make the revs pick up. Once warmed up, the engine runs freely, and will re-start on a single compression stroke. Speaking of compression, it is mental, the starter motor won't turn it over compression without a run up, or the use of the decompression lever:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hsv8Bbo6D4[/youtube]

This engine is destined to be converted to a throttle-controlled machine, and will be mounted onto the "Clagobility Scooter", aka Granny Chariot.... one of these:

??? :police:  ;D  ;D 

Inspired by this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5_7KQ7rYKs[/youtube]

:angel:
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: New acquisition: Lister LR1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun! I hope you include some type of clutch assembly in yours! Wouldn't want Granny running into traffic!  :o

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun! I hope you include some type of clutch assembly in yours! Wouldn't want Granny running into traffic!  :o

dieselgman

Yeah, I want a clutch on mine. And a gearbox  ;D Currently toying with the idea of making my own 3-speed + reverse g/box, I am not sure how hard it is to make one, the diagrams on t'interwebs make it look fairly simple, especially if it's a 2-lever device. If the gearbox idea works, I'll drive it all off the flywheel ring gear. Clutch will either be homebrew (=hard), or maybe I'll see if I can score a centrifugal clutch, however, given the starting characteristics of the engine (and it's not properly winter yet, I am wondering if it'll start at all in sub-zero temps) I would have to have a g/box with neutral if I'm using a c'fugal clutch...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
Ade, I have seen these in use in India with a simple lever operated idler on the belts to tighten them up to drive, or loosen to allow slippage.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:12:33 AM »
Ade, no wonder it won`t turn it, its geared up 2 :1. I would put money on that Pazi powered scooter being within 1 mile of Longnor Staffs.
Mark.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »
Mark, you're right of course about the gearing, based on how difficult it is to get going from cold, it would stand no chance if the ring gear was on the other side...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 08:05:59 AM »
Best hope the old bill or the DVLA don't see that vid !.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
^ or far worse HMRC as its highly likely they had red diesel in the fuel tank  ;D

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
I would at least give that a 'top end' including injector as theres no way it should be that difficult to start.
As to a transmission,how about one of those small Eaton hydrostatic jobbies they used to fit to pedestrian operated vibrating rollers ?.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
We own a close relative, ( I think? ???) an SL1 and starting used to be an adveture close to what you discribed. It would hit as evidenced by black smoke and diesel knock and if warm out it would chug and smoke black sometimes finaly reving up, others times chugging back down to a stop. When coool, say less than 50 F it would never start just kock from ignition and smoke black. We fiddled with everything trying to cure it and one day while looking through the manual I noticed that Lister reccomended a very light grade oil, 10W in those (at least the SL)  I thought what the heck and tried it. First start was same thing but once we got it going and the 10W actualy on the moving parts. it fixed our starting problems, it now starts easily.  The 10W also fixed another probem we had, heavy slobber out the exhaust.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:13:55 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »
38ac - good call, I just checked the manual and it does indeed specify SAE10W. I'm assuming this is pretty thin oil? I'm fairly sure it's not what's in it right now... Looks like a trip to the motor factors tonight for some fresh stuff...

Magnicon - there's a good chance this engine has been subject to many doses of easystart, it's an ex cement mixer engine unless I am very much mistaken. From reading the manual, it's unlikely the injector is a problem, they (Lister) claim to use one that's pretty well bulletproof, but it probably needs decokeing.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »
A used  belt drive from a snowmobile is possible solution...centrifugal clutch plus variable speed transmission all in one.
I've seen an impressive home-built ATV that uses it.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
Brakes?  We don't need no stinking brakes...
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
Ade, try starting it with the stop lever in the run position rather than in the excess fuel position, my thoughts are... that  low power when cold  (oil drag being a major contributor 38ac)  means that on excess fuel these engines are way overfuelled until sufficient speed is attained to move the fuel rack over,  not possible if the power absorbed is equal to or greater than the power produced.  An FR6 I used to use would not  (towards the end of its life)  pick up speed from cold unless the stop lever was semi operated and even then belched grey smoke until it got up to its governed speed.

Mark.