Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine cooling  (Read 23193 times)

TPXX

• View Profile
Engine cooling
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
Has anyone hooked up a radiator with a fan driven off of one of the fly wheels or a smaller pulley? If so, was it effective, and do you have any pictures of your set up?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Engine cooling
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Lister equipped some of their stuff in just the way you suggest - crankshaft mounted pulley inboard of flywheel with belt driven fan and small convection/forced-air radiator.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:35:21 AM »
One I built last winter. A little complicated for off grid usage I think but this engine is a portable power unit on a cart. As Gary said Lister built factory radiator engines. It sat high over top one of the flywheel sand had a fan driven by belt.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

TPXX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I was thinking of mounting the radiator above the fly wheel somehow, your set up looks nice but lots of pulleys to change the plane of rotation! What kind of belt is that? Any idea of the rpms you get out of it?

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
tpxx
My plans on this 6/1 is to run the fan like the originals with a pulley mounted on the inside of the flywheel. I have a split pulley already made I just need time to get a fan and pulley put together. Presently I am using the original Geo Metro electric fan. I can tell you if you have an adequate sized radiator it does not take much of a breeze to keep it cool. If you live in Arizona in the summer you might have a problem!
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
Hey Dave, have you given any thought to using a thermostatically controlled fan clutch on that fan. Might save some fuel.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
Hey Dave, have you given any thought to using a thermostatically controlled fan clutch on that fan. Might save some fuel.

Now lets keep it simple Tom! No I have not thought of that. I am not going to put much of a fan on it. All of my playing around has found overheating usually happens on dead calm hot days. If there is the slightest breeze out overheating is not a problem. Now if it was in an enclosed building it would be a different story. I was thinking of a small fan with not much pitch just enough to push air through it. I have a electric thermostat on it that turns on the electric fan but it is rarely needed.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

TPXX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »
tpxx
My plans on this 6/1 is to run the fan like the originals with a pulley mounted on the inside of the flywheel. I have a split pulley already made I just need time to get a fan and pulley put together. Presently I am using the original Geo Metro electric fan. I can tell you if you have an adequate sized radiator it does not take much of a breeze to keep it cool. If you live in Arizona in the summer you might have a problem!

Sounds like electric is easier. I read another post where someone had used a 120v attic vent fan with a temp sensor on the head water outlet to operate it. Seems pretty simple. Is the radiator from a Geo Metro as well? Did you mount it sideways? I would just use a barrel but I want the unit to be semi portable, and radiator cooling makes that simpler than moving and filling a barrel.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
Dave, I was thinking that repurposing a clutched fan from a small automotive application would work. Perhaps a water pump would also work for the bearings and mount? I don't think it would hurt to run one dry.

TPXX, that was I that made that suggestion, but after it was made I went and looked and all the attic fans are pretty big, about 10x bigger than needed to cool a Listeroid. If you do a search on snap switch on this board, you'll find where you can get some thermostatic AC switches that will work great for a small ac fan.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
An attic fan is beyond gross overkill, think of the starting surge, then think about finding 3 small AC muffin fans instead. (Ronmar's idea which I like.) Then if one fails, you're still fine.  jpmarlin.com used to have some surplus ones cheap. You only need the smallest air movement.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:13 PM »
Yep, shrouded properly to get airflow thru the entire radiator core, you really do not need much airflow to cool a 6/1 at full load.

This is a 6/1 we are talking about isn't it? 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:51:46 AM »
My 8/1 turns a 24 volt alternator so I got a 24 volt electric fan, it's controlled by a simple HVAC type aquastat in the hot radiator line.
BioDiesel Brewer

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:05:18 AM »
I keep telling you people!  Computer 12 Volt 5-10 watt fans pull tied to the radiator.  Keep that fan noise to a minimum.

Leading them to the water is the easy part.  Getting them to believe it's there to cool the diesel engine and not to drink is the tricky part.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »
Anybody care to recommend a thermal switch for the fan?  I sort of am at that stage in my project.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

TPXX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
No I have a 12/2 engine with a 7.5kw st head. I don't have an alternator but could add one to drive a 12v fan say from a computer?? lol I have access to a bunch of those. But do I just let them run or have some sort of thermostat. Still looking for more info on snap switches.