Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa S195 Serpentine Pulley?  (Read 13786 times)

OilCan

• View Profile
Changfa S195 Serpentine Pulley?
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:26:43 AM »
Yes, I have George B's Utterpower CD and have seen pix of the 2nd Gen. Direct Drive for the Changfa
engines.  But has anyone seen a source for Serpentine pulley adaptors for the S195 flywheels and similar engines?

europachris

• View Profile
Re: Changfa S195 Serpentine Pulley?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:28:23 PM »
You can buy an adaptor from George. http://utterpower.com/directdr.htm He makes a nice one that will bolt right up to the flywheel and then you can buy a pulley to match.

I made my own for my R185 engine.  The R185 has two sets of mounting holes, small and large diameter, so I can use the R195 size or the smaller R185 and below size.  I used a chunk of 6" diameter round stock and turned it down to about 5.75", bored it out for a shaft, etc.  Not the easiest thing to make, especially welding in the shaft and keeping it straight without runout.

Pulleys are available from George, if you want a 8" dia. for a auto serpentine.  I bought my drive pulleys from Browning, along with the bushings (1" for the engine side and 22mm for the generator).  I use a 6 rib "L" section industrial serp. belt.  Pictures are here:  http://power-co.net/ilchris.htm  Video is here: http://n9zes.zippyvideos.com/

Have fun!

Chris

listeroidsusa

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:30:17 PM »
I build lots of pulleys for the listeroids and turning one for a china diesel isn't much more. I'd just need the mounting dimensions and bolt pattern.

Mike

OilCan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:53:16 PM »
Thanks for replies europachris and ListerUsa.  Thats right, George sent me
an email and mentioned the 3rd Generation adaptors which are serpentine.
I have until June 18th to decide whether I'll be a guinea pig for the Ebay
Changfa/ST7.5KW combo. It's encouraging to see parts are available for
both the Lister and Changfas.

OilCan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:22:19 PM »
Ended up getting the Changfa S195/ST7.5 generator combo.  Will be interested in also
using ListeroidUsa's or George's serpentine pulleys if available.  Engine and generator should
be on the way about mid-July.  In the meantime will be building a suitable 8x12' shed to
house the goodies, I expect to reinforce the flooring to accommodate about a 1,000# load.
Guy at work game me a dual-fan Honda Avalon downflow radiator for the cooling.

Will be tying things together with the Readypower.com Reliance #R30216B six-ciircuit
transfer switch.

And then when this is complete experimentation with waste veggy oil.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:32:02 AM »
i am convinced that the 195 will run on anything flammable!

we have tested running vegie, waste vegie, hydraulic oil, atf, 10, 20 and even 30 weight motor oil.

seems to run equally well on any of the above, although starting is harder on 30 weight and it smokes a bit until warmed up.

i think you will like it
the serpentine drive probably isnt the way to go tho
the flywheel is quite large to drive off off, lister style making the required driven pulley quite large as well.

look at georges lovejoy direct drive, nice and clean.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 06:09:35 PM »
Pulleys and Belts:

By the way, I think Chris' set-up is great: simple, looks good, functional.

To reveal my ignorance, I do not know what a serptentine belt is. Chris' belt looks like a solid, round circle that does not coil, twist, puff up, rattle, or slither, and probably is not venemous.

I am at a crossroads here with my Changfa: whether to purchase a single pulley for the generator head, and use the V-belt and pulley that came with the engine, worry about upgrading later.

I have no way of knowing whether the "flickering" (lights, for example) I heard about with V belt is worth worrying about. For the price of a 2nd pulley later, I can get it up and running and see for myself about the V belts.

Any lived experience would be appreicated. I have been reading here, utterpower, and elsewhere, for everything I can find about Changfa/ST. Right now, the belt is what I have to deal with.

Do not trust the "grid" folks!

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 07:05:06 PM »
Pulleys and Belts:

By the way, I think Chris' set-up is great: simple, looks good, functional.

To reveal my ignorance, I do not know what a serptentine belt is. Chris' belt looks like a solid, round circle that does not coil, twist, puff up, rattle, or slither, and probably is not venemous.

Serpentine is a generic term for the flat, multi-ribbed automotive belts that wind their way around all the pulleys in a 'serpentine' fashion.  There are 4 types of belts, J, K, L, and M section, in order of increasing size and rib pitch.  Most automotive belts are K section.  I used a 6-rib L section on my ChangFa.  It's a nice, beefy belt, and runs WAY smooth.  The pulley setup was $$$$$, though.  Only reason I didn't use the stock Vee pulley is I needed a 2 to 1 speedup for my 3600 rpm generator head, and that would have made the generator pulley too small.  If I had a ST head, I'd go 1 to 1 with the stock pulley.  But then I wouldn't be able to move the thing around...  :(

Chris

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 07:19:39 PM »
Yes, Chris, your rig is very nicely portable!

I like the idea of 1:1, and I have seen those serpentine belts run over several components, giving them more justification for the name.

For the cost of one pulley, bushing, sheve?, I can see how well the Changfa does with the V-belt. I asked John Ferguson today about the Allmand system, whether it is practical and available for the Changfa... just asked, by e-mail.

To see how it goes with the V-belt, the only risk is ending up with a V-belt pulley taken out of service later.

Is there a size of the J through M belt that will fit into the 4 grooves of the Changfa pulley? Were you able to use the stock Changfa pulley, or did you have to buy a new one?

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 07:58:01 PM »
Nope, a serpentine belt will not fit the Changfa pulley in any size.  Way different.

My stock pulley (2 groove for the 185) is in a landfill somewhere.  I probably shouldn't have tossed it, but I couldn't see a use for it.  If I ever went to a 1 to 1 setup, I'd just buy a different serpentine pulley.  I think it's a far better setup than vee belts.

That said, I'd still have used vee belts provided I could have used the stock pulley.  The key with vee belts is to keep the pulley sizes as large as possible.

Just use high quality matched vee belt sets and you'll be just fine.

Chris

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 09:11:17 PM »
... I'd still have used vee belts provided I could have used the stock pulley.  The key with vee belts is to keep the pulley sizes as large as possible...

Thanks, Chris. Are you saying that even with V belts, the pulley should be larger than the one that came with the ChangFa?

"high quality V Belt sets"... you mean multiple belts? Like 4 of them, one in each of the grooves?

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 11:30:45 PM »
I think the stock v pulley will be just fine.  Plenty of others have had success with it.

For the belts, you will need two, maybe three.  Go to an industrial supply house for belts and bearings and get "common back" or "matched sets" of belts.  That way they are all exactly equal length and will share the load properly.  DON'T go to the local hardware store and buy 3 single belts of the same size.  They won't be close enough in length unless you're really lucky.

Bring the pulley along so they can help match the right style and type of belt.  Should be a piece of cake.

Chris

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 11:43:29 PM »
Well, Chris, I think that is exactly what I will do (stock pulley). I understand about the common back / matched set. All cut at the same time, same length.