Puppeteer

Author Topic: Don't trust the dipstick!!  (Read 4844 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Don't trust the dipstick!!
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:48:58 PM »
Well after about 1 hr run time on the petter genset, my buddy decided to remove the side covers and have a look

the oil level was only about 3/4 up on the oil pump pickup tube , leaving the upper section of the screen open, and
readily able to suck air!

the book referred to filling to the full mark, but this is about 2 quarts too low at least

it doesnt appear that the engine suffered any damage, but just the same i thought i would pass it along

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Halfnuts

• View Profile
Re: Don't trust the dipstick!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 05:39:45 PM »
Bob,

Isn't that an eye-opener?  Welcome to the world of Indian quality control. 

Three greatest lies of modern times:

1.  The check is in the mail
2.  I'll love you forever, and,
3.  Fill oil to line on the dipstick

It's the same with the 'roids.  If I filled my engine's sump to where the line says it should be, I'd be immersing the con-rod bearing cap.  I ended up filling it to about 2/3 of the way up the dipper, then after running, checked that oil was getting slung everywhere.  It was.

Halfnuts

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:58:37 AM »
Hi Bob,

I wonder who makes the dipstick marks at the factory... probably the part-time student hired the day before :)

Do you check oil with the dipstick all the way up ( unscrewed position)?

Pat
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 06:53:44 AM »
yes all the way up, and this may have been part of the problem although not all of it.
the engine still has to be about a half inch over full as indicated on the dipstick screwed all the way in to have the sump covered in oil.

i also think it might be prudent to place a plexiglass cover over the crankcase to see if the sump stays covered when up to speed, although it might not be easy to see.

perhaps more oil should be put in until it interferes or it slung around by the rod caps, then drain back a quart and remark the stick. i am thinking this is what i will do on my engines.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:07:43 AM »
my 24/2 came with no marks on the dip stick i was advised to fill with oil just up to the con rod nut with the piston at the bottom of the bore. also mine was #2 out of the batch this way