Author Topic: Lister vs. Witte diesels  (Read 6233 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Lister vs. Witte diesels
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »
Do you guys consider the Witte diesel to be the full equal of a Lister diesel in reliability and longevity.I looked at two Wittes yesterday and was impressed with their build.Years ago the owner called the factory,they told him the design life is 150 years.Are Wittes generators considered good by todays standards.?? Thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister vs. Witte diesels
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
Witte is an American classic... very strong designs, run forever. Every bit the equal to a Lister.

The Lister claim to fame is in massive worldwide distribution - thanks to the British Empire. This fact translates into relative ease of parts sourcing and commonly copied in India and the Middle East.

Now days I believe that Witte support is available through Arrow in Tulsa OK. Expect to pay a fortune though. We see very few being serviced any longer although they used to be in common operation in the Alaska bush 40 years ago.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »
Where'd you get to look at two of them?  Which models?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »
Casey,didn't read the model one is a 6 hp the outher 12hp boath are gen sets.Boath are free but need work,haven't run for many years.I'am trying to work a deal suggested by the owner fix one for one. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »
if you get one with an original generator, i would not use it until i took it off, had it professionally
cleaned, dipped, baked, fully inspected and made ready for service.

if a generator has been sitting around for years, it probably has moisture in the windings, or worse... mouse urine, either of which is hard on the insulation.

in my opinion going the extra mile to assure it is ready for service will probably pay off big time.

something akin to buying a 50 year old radio that has been sitting in someones barn for the last 25 years, you never want to power them up without a thorough inspection, maybe then with a variac to ease the voltage back up gradually, and generally replacement of all the capacitors,,, or else you run the risk of serious and expensive to repair damage.

same goes with old generators in my opinion.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:30:29 AM »
Mobile Bob,or anyone,if a vacume bag was placed around an old generator head and a slow vacume pulled would that be a good way to remove moisture from the windings.? Frank C.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »
I have not heard of that method before... they are typically cleaned & heated, winding insulation tested with a megger, and baked & resealed during a recondition service.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
How about baked in the oven at 225F over night?  Or put in a helium bag for a day or two.

Casey
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:49:38 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »
One  method I`ve read of  for larger alternators is to  short the output terminals and run up the alternator with the AVR disconnected and apply 12 volts dc to the exciter windings.   My preferred method is to loosen off the frame ends and blow hot air from a fan heater at the thing until the resistance comes up to an acceptable level, don`t be fooled by the initial resistance rise after an hour or two, as pretty soon after this it drops and then slowly rises again.

Mark.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
Just an addendum to drying out a motor/generator, most alternators are open frame and through ventilated so do not need the ends opening up to allow the moisture to leave, modern TEFC motors do need the ends opening a crack for this to occur.
Mark.