Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine base dimensions and belts  (Read 3239 times)

TPXX

• View Profile
Engine base dimensions and belts
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
I have a Lovson 12/2 with a 7.5kw ST gen head. Its been sitting in my shop for a few years, and I am now getting serious about setting it up. I plan on using 6" I-Beam for the base, but am not sure of the length I will need to mount the engine and gen head for a reasonable belt length. I bought the cd from utterpower when I got the engine, but it does not have any details on base construction. Georges website has a few articles but no dimensions. What belts are you guys using?

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
Re: Engine base dimensions and belts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:04:27 AM »
my I beams are 4 ft. I have a 9" dia. gen pulley with 23 1/2" dia. fly wheels. The belt # is 5060970 which = a 97 " belt. the gen mount floats on the I beams. the beams are tied together with 3"x5"box steel about 20"long each. the gen frame is made of 1/2"x2" bar stock to ride on the I beam flats with bar stock below to parallel the inner I beam to form a box mount for generator. I made a bracket attached to gen mount which has 5/8" all thread running through the box steel with nuts  with a heavy spring for belt tension. there is 2 bolt with flat stock tabs to lock the gen frame in place once tension is good. the block is bolted to I beam, the gen mount floats on I beam. (these measurements: engine and gen. mounts can vary! the cross member measurement is determined by the engine block mount holes! this is a serpintine belt common to Gm cars the pulley is a 6 grove.
 The info is on the CD with pics, finding it is an issue I found it a couple of times, once with a google search, and once on one of my 2 George CDs.
Have fun! hope this helps!
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

TPXX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
Thanks! Do you have any pictures of the "floating" gen mount? The drawing on the Utterpower site shows what I think you described, but pictures would be more helpful for me if you have any. I'll do a search of the cd for "base" and " mounts" and hopefully find it.

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »
I too was one a new "practioner of the Roid art" so do not feel lost.  My mounts are the usual steel I beams, cross welded channels and for vibration protection the engine is hard bolted to the frame but under the stde side beams are McMaster-Carr HD vibration pads www.mcmaster.com.  Pad is 48" long with self mixed bag concrete 18" deep with anchor J bolts; about 3,500#!

Laus Deo
overbore