Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hello from New York new to forum  (Read 12223 times)

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from New York new to forum
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »
I have been reading the forum over the past few months. I have recently bought a 16-2. I know the rule no pics it did not happen here are the pics. Cannot get the pics to work tonight. Will get them on soon.   ???

Just so you know, that's not really a hard and fast rule.  Another forum I frequent infrequently allows you to circumvent the rule if you, instead, post a pic of your wife/GF/SO's tits.  For obvious reasons, most guys just suck it up and figure out how to post a pic of their project.

It's your call, though. 

q.
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
You said all you needed to do was put it together, I think you'r skipping a step.
BioDiesel Brewer

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »
Agreed.  It's no reflection on the quality of the engines Gary sources, but it IS an Indian engine, after all.  You really ought to do a complete teardown and cleanup before First Smoke.  

quinnf
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:03:07 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

oliveone

• New York Listeroid 16 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »
I have been taking pics as I do the work. Just so you know I have done the complete tear down. Let’s just say they must have used a VERY BIG sledge hammer to put the flywheel keys in.  I got them out but it was not easy. I am working on cleaning the inside so I can paint it. Once it was torn down I used the 3000 psi pressure washer to get any loose stuff off. Next I used an Air Needle Scaler that only got a little more out. Then came the grinding wheel. It is removing most of the rough spots. Once it is clean I will take some more pics before I paint it, and then post a bunch of the new pics. I have already got the quart of Glyptal Red Enamel.  Over the weekend got a good used radiator, now I am looking for some steel that I can use for the frame.

More to come soon.

Quinnf  I asked the wife and she said @*&^ NO so I am now looking for a girlfriend that will say yes.   :o LOL    If you have some good ones to post please feel free   ;D
Listeroid 16 2 in  New York

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 04:01:48 AM »
The last time Quinn had me thinking of a little jiggle he had to come up with this vision.

They all either hop of slide or pirouette.  Lots of parts moving in too many directions to easily balance.  Sort of like a fat lady in a thong riding a bicycle down a washboard road. 

Quinn

It is still stuck in my mind..... :P
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »
If that helped you to remember the illustration, then my work is done.   ;D

q.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 02:08:37 AM »
I think no one will ever forget that particular mental image you created, Quinn!  :)

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
You wrote:  "Quinnf  I asked the wife and she said @*&^ NO so I am now looking for a girlfriend that will say yes.    LOL  "

Ok, well, women are funny like that.  

But you're new here, so I'll reiterate that I'm serious about the teardown and search for pockets of sand.  Pictures from India indicate these engines are assembled on dirt floors, sometimes outside, under conditions that make it impossible for the assemblers to avoid contaminating the engine with dirt.  Worse than that, however, is that the castings almost always contain remnants of casting sand.  They aren't sandblasted, shot peened, or even washed with water after they are removed from the molds.  And sometimes the assembler simply paints the inside of the crankcase right over pockets of casting sand. 

You have a nice engine and a very little bit of sand can do an awful lot of damage.  Spending a day or two stripping it down to bare castings, then scratching around inside with a screwdriver or pressure washing the inside, painting it with Rustoleum and then reassembling will assure you that your engine is clean.  

Quinn
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:40:19 PM by Quinnf »