Puppeteer

Author Topic: Add on AVR ?  (Read 16120 times)

cylinderheadnut

• View Profile
Add on AVR ?
« on: August 11, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
Is it possible to retro fit some kind of AVR unit to a capacitor run 6 kva generator ?

I want to run some electronic stuff off it, that needs AVR.

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Add on AVR ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
If it's an induction motor being used as a generator, then no, you can't use an AVR for that.  The amount of capacitance needed varies with load, and I haven't seen an automatic capacitor bank switcher for that.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »
It is probably a capacitive regulated alternator.  Not sure if you could fit an AVR, we would have to see a schematic of it to determine that.  DO you have a wiring diagram, and or the manufacturer/make and model info?
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

cylinderheadnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
the alternator is a Syncro EK2 MCT syncronous brushless

http://www.sogagroup.com/FILES_UPLOAD/EK%20MANUAL%202011_1.pdf

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
horrible schematics, but many manuals don't provide that good of technical documentation.  IMO, there is no way to fit this generator with an AVR, short of a custom engineered circuit...

Here is how I understand this type.  The rotor spins and residual magnetism induces a voltage in the aux winding that has a capacitor on it.  This circuit resonates which inturn induces a voltage back onto the rotor via a coupling winding on the rotor.  This voltage is rectified by a diode on the rotor and the resultant DC current excites the rotor winding  which builds a magnetic field and induces voltage in the main stator windings.  The rating for the capacitor controls how that aux winding resonates which inturn controlls how much voltage is produced at a given RPM. The load on the generator also has an effect on the aux winding which boosts voltage in response to load increase to help keep the voltage stable with load changes.

When working properly, it is my understanding that this type of excitation and regulation works very well.  Just what exactly are you trying to operate that this thing wont power?   This is a more advanced play on the harmonically excited generator.  My simple harmonically excited ST generator runs every piece of electronic equipment I have thrown at it.  The first step for most modern electronics is taking the AC power provided and immediatly using a switching power supply to convert it to DC.  Since most electronics are made for a global market, the voltage input tollerances are pretty wide.  It is not uncommon to see voltage input specs these days that range from 100VAC to 250VAC...

PS 6/1 - ST-5.

cylinderheadnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »
I have a welding inverter which the manufacturer states  must be run off an AVR generator.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:50 AM »
Sounds like you should ask the welder manufacturer if this generator's specs are acceptable. 

Again, I don't see a welder's specifications needing input voltage tollerances better than a typical generator can supply.  I have witnessed a lot of different weld processes done in some god awfull conditions with some pretty unorthodox power sources... It is most definitely NOT a rocket science.

I would say that if the welders power demands(KW/current) are within the generator's capability to output, it will work OK.  But by all means, let the welder manufacturer  confirm or deny the suitability of your generator.  IF they said it would not be suitable power, I would insist they explain why not and provide the input specifications...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
The problem with this type of generator is that it has a an extra harmonic wave form which is not good for electronics.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
The problem with this type of generator is that it has a an extra harmonic wave form which is not good for electronics.

It does?  Can you be more specific or show me a picture of it on an oscope?
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
I can't show you but if you do a bit research on how capacitor regulated generators work you, will find they have an extra winding that in conjunction with the capacitor produces the field current. They work fine with power drills etc but are not kind to electronics. It is not the voltage variation that makes them so bad it is the harmonics.