Puppeteer

Author Topic: Catastrophic failure  (Read 47928 times)

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Re: Catastrophic failure
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »
Well, here's the ugly truth.

BioDiesel Brewer

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 01:52:24 AM »
There are no other obvious points of failure, the mains still spin freely on the crank, the head is completely intact, the piston is like new, the cross hatches still show in the bore, the big end bearing is like new, the oil pump pumps oil.
BioDiesel Brewer

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »
Damn, that sucks.  The cracked case is especially sad. We'd all like to think that Rajkot roulette doesn't affect the crank,  but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:22 AM »
We will replace that entire bottom end for you! Sorry to see that parts failure!  :o

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 03:18:42 AM »
Very sorry to read about your engine failure: In this difficult time, it says a lot about your character to take the time and effort to post. Reviewing the postmortem engine autopsy is very insightful as are the comments. Thank you. Anyone of us could be next.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:06 AM »
Wow!  Worse than I thought -

But hey - a little JB Weld and it'll be as good as new!  (Which, as it turns out, wasn't all that good).  I have a big hammer, I think I can straighten that rod for you...

The next sound you hear will be the circling buzzards -

After you've had a day or two to think it over, price repair parts, etc. - I might be interested in a project engine.  Don't make an emotional decision right away, think it over for a while.  But I'd be willing to pay shipping plus some if you decide to toss the whole thing.

Which model is it?  Is that a replaceable liner in the block?  Or is it damaged beyond replacing the liner?
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

fuelfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 03:56:21 AM »
Say it aint so. Had to be biodiesel related.......... just kidding.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 04:55:03 AM »

Sorry to see that !
Things seem to be pointing to a microfracture in the crankshaft.
If the mains still spin and the con rod bearing is not seized (or showing signs of overheating), then what else could have created such a mess?
I can imagine the sound as things transpired ! WOW
A high temp and/or Low oil shutdown would not have helped, and vibration switches are very hard to incorporate into a big single.
Not sure you could have prevented this.

Thanks for providing the pictures of your forensics.   :-)

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:25 AM »
Get the right Dude on the end of a welding torch and the case could probably be welded back together.  Then source some parts from one of the suppliers and you might be able to run again.  However, you could instead get a small Japanese tractor diesel . . .

Sorry to see such carnage.  Like viewing a corpse, as someone rightly commented.  My condolences.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
Wow, that is ugly. :o
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Right now all I can say is Gary, dieselgman, at DES, has gone above and beyond every single time I've had a problem, I have never dealt with a machinery dealer who is such a straight shooter.
BioDiesel Brewer

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
The other snapped crankshaft that Thob alluded to appears to have resulted from a poorly finished GM90 (internally balanced) crank pin with no fillet machined on each side of the pin.  However that one happened after 20,000 hours pumping water, so I think Noel got his money's worth out of the engine.  

From the last picture it appears that your break started at the same place as did Noel's, but a fillet is clearly visible in the photos, though it's not machined particularly well.  Perhaps just a bad location to have a void in the original casting?  These are 3rd World engines, after all, built on 1930s technology.  Stuff happens, as we all know.  The fact that it doesn't happen more frequently is remarkable.

Gary's offer is extremely generous.  Above and beyond what anyone would expect.  Kudos to you, Sir!

Quinn

[Edit:  Looking again at your last picture, it looks to me like the rough casting was machined right up to the throw web.  The break might have started on the outside of the web and propagated across it and finished at the pin.  Same reason for failure as in Noel's GM90 engine (stress concentrating at a sharp corner and fatiguing the metal), but starting on the opposite side of the web.]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:26:08 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
We live by the Golden Rule here or couldn't stand to be in the business! It is bad enough we have to withstand poor Indian quality standards... if there was another way, we would be all over it.

This is really our first catastrophic failure and have been importing Indian parts for a decade... I apologize for them, but what can I say?  :embarassed:

Best we can do is make it right and full steam ahead!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
Cars...Listeroids....anything I buy the service that goes with it is more important than the purchased item......
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
Gary, you can't be expected to x-ray every crank that comes in and you don't need to apologize for what some back yard foundry did in India.
BioDiesel Brewer