Puppeteer

Author Topic: Catastrophic failure  (Read 47926 times)

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Re: Catastrophic failure
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
Already done, just waiting for it the cure before I start it again, I even drilled the spot out about 3/8" deep, should be good to go.
BioDiesel Brewer

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »
Well believe it or not I got the broken block all welded back together, it took me about two weeks and a lot of brazing rod but it's one piece of cast again.
I magna fluxed it, found all the cracks and drilled holes just beyond where they stopped then vee'd em out with a die grinder about 3/4" wide and brazed em up.
The trick is to heat the whole casting up and let it cool really slow after welding otherwise sooner of later you'll hear "Snap!" and there will be a new crack usually on the edge of the new weld.
Right after I weld I hit the weld a little with my needle scaler while it's hot, it's supposed to releive some of the stresses.
So, now I need a couple externally balanced flywheels, a crank, one main bearing holder a cylinder a head etc, etc, etc......................................................................
BioDiesel Brewer

Curtis Shipp

• Living in Curtis World, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »
Drill and tap a small hole and JB weld a bolt in it. The hole stops any cracks from starting and the plug stays in. JB weld could turn loose where the plug is permanent.
6/1 jkson / 6kw 3ph mecc alte gen / my home shop off grid / wife and kids on grid

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »
Fabricator -

Just to be clear, did you braze the castings, using something like a brass filler rod, or did you weld the casting, using something like a hi nickel stick electrode?  Did any areas require machining after being welded?

Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
I did a mix of tig and braze with silicone bronze filler rod, I would do three passes with tig with high nickel filler rod and then fill in the rest of the ground out area with braze, there were two small areas on the main bearing holder surfaces that needed to be flattened out, I did that by using a file and a high speed steel scraper with both ends on an already machined surface.
BioDiesel Brewer

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »
Cool - do we get to see pictures of the welds?
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Yeah I can get some pics but the it's already painted, I'll get pics anyway.
BioDiesel Brewer