Puppeteer

Author Topic: 12/1 tear down  (Read 3763 times)

macgyvermike

• View Profile
12/1 tear down
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:22:22 AM »
Ok Im about to tear down my Powerline 12/1 with about 10 hrs on it, looking for casting sand and such.  what is the best way to clean the inside of the castings?  Also should I paint the inside of the casting, if so what is recomended.
Thanks Mike

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 12/1 tear down
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:36:39 AM »
Hot tank, lots of elbow grease, air-scaling gun if there are major casting imperfections or bubbles to clear out. Glyptol for inside of crankcase once she's squeaky clean...  :)

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
Best way is just as Dieselgman said and dont forget the rest of the castings too including the rod. The rod in my 6/1 Metro was covered with flaking mill scale. You need to get rid of the oil, paint and putty first and that = hot tank.  Places that hot tank are getting fewer and futher between, you can do it at home with a 55 gallon drum over a wood fire and 2-3 lbs of lye. Getting rid of the left over swill is not difficult I just boil it down and place the solids in a old gallon paint can and take it to one of the many household hazardous waste deals we have arond here. Once cooked out get the block up to a comfortable height and you go in with a needle scaler, various punches and chisels. You have to rotate it so you are looking in and working from from every hole, each time you will find new catches of India's finest casting sand and left over slag. Be aware that the places that are hardest for you too see and clean is where your going to find the most of it. Yes youwant to paint the block reason being you will never get rid of 100% of the sand especialy if you have a particularly poor casting. You get rid of the vast bulk of it and seal the rest for life so it does no harm. This is the other reason for hot tanking the block, so the paint will adhear. Gyptol is a good product but sometimes hard to source. I use same thing only made by differant company and sold at W W Grainer. One can will easily do all the castings on a single.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPRAYON-Insulating-Varnish-1D276?Pid=search

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
One source for Glyptal:
http://www.caswellplating.com/glyptal-brush-on-red-enamel-1-quart.html?gclid=CIKf5-XkxrECFQff4AodqX8AxA

I used a spray-on varnish (not the one 38ac used) that I got from a local electric motor place.

And I also vote for the needle scaler. You'll be amazed at how much trash you remove, even from places that look fine!
Listeroid 8/1

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:03 PM »
If you have 10 hours on it you might as well get hold of the G man and order all new bearings for it, hopefully the cranks not to scratched up.
BioDiesel Brewer