Author Topic: Bakery needs "Nudge" or STOP me now.  (Read 22281 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Re: Bakery needs "Nudge" or STOP me now.
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
It pains me to see the Detroit 2 cycle diesels pushed into history.I have spent my whole life working on them first Navy,truck fleet,and 31 years as a fire service mechanic.Alas Dieselgman is correct parts are a problem,before I retired I had to replace a burned valve on an 8-71 and had a hard time finding one.Every jerkwater garage that serviced trucks used to stock detroit parts as most covered many models.They are/were a marvel of engineering and adaptibility.I would not be afrade of running a good one,you may have to dig a little deeper for parts. Frank C.
  Am doing my bit here in the UK, as a boy deep in Derbyshires limestone quarrying country I used to hear the Detroit howl as Aveling Barford  dumptrucks  powered by these engines made their way up the haul roads.  So when I had the chance I bought a  3-71, not quite a V12 but  when time allows I`ll savour a day of getting it up and running.
Mark.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:31 AM »
Its very important that a Detroit 2 cycle does not overheat,that causes warpage and misalignment above and below the airbox and will usally cause a cracked liner around the ports.Heat also cooks the rubber sealing rings in the head to block joint and she will swollow antifreeze. For warranty reasons Detroit Diesel put small fusible pellets in the heads to tell if they have been overheated. Detroits have a different wine to them.We had an old Pirsch arial ladder with a 6- 71 at the fire barn on the outher side of town,we could hear them respond and which hill they were pulling.Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 07:49:07 AM »
Thanks for that Frank,  I also have a Foden 6 cyl 2 stroke , these run with the distinctive Roots blower whine, the exhaust manifold is comfortable to touch after quite some time running off load.   Another one now moved on which was in a 40 Kva genset slobbered thick tar and smoked on 3/4 electrical load when doing a hyd oil/kero blend working trial.  It struck me that I may have had more success if this 2 stroke engine was loaded up to near rated output, not possible with a 100 + hp and my 25 Kw  load.

Mark.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »
Mark your right mate, two cycle diesels will tend to puke from the airbox if run/idle underloaded or if oil level is too high.Theirs a truckers  saying over here if you have a 2 cyc. Detroit "drive it like you hate it" keep it up near the governor.I've got one of your Dagenham 6 cylinder diesels on my sawmill,shes a good old girl but the Simms injector pump is showing its age.Would love to find one of your Field Marshal tractors here but I 've only seen one.The guy with the Marshal only had two shotshells left to start it I offered to peek in one and load some for him but he didn't want to risk one. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Good bombproof engines those Fords,  I had a 2715E in a Coles crane, it weighed 15 tons and was seriously underpowered, when taken out on the road after months of idling it decarbonised itself, belching smoke and glowing embers for miles.  I will look out for a Simms pump, is yours directly gear driven or does it have the external coupling drive? 
There was a Field Marshall crawler tractor on Ebay UK  a month or so ago.      An old boy I used to know told me that you could hand start a FM with a lit Park Drive cigarette and a lot of muscle.

Mark.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 12:10:38 AM »
Mark,the Dag has an external coupling to the Simms pumpThanks. Frank C.

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »
Ah,the good old 6D,you won't break that in a hurry.I used to get Field Marshall starting papers and cartridges from Robert H Crawford,Frithville,Boston,Lincs.UK.I think they are still there.
Just had a look,They are still in business and still supply Marshall parts.  info@rhcrawford.com or phone 441205 750367.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:07:46 AM by magnicon »

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
Any of you fellas ever peeked in a FM starting shell,they must use black powder but what kind of wadding.??Probibly someone could use high pressure air and a quick opening valve to roll them over. Frank C.

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
Probably the same as the marshall ones,a brown/black granular substance,no wadding.Supposed to be a comparatively slow burn,more of a whoosh than a bang.Whatever is added to make the burn slow leaves a gritty tarry deposit on the decomp and starting valve spindles which would start to stick after only about six 'power starts'.
Stories abound about what happened to the man who used a 12 bore (gauge) shotgun cartridge by mistake.