Author Topic: Guess who?  (Read 31482 times)

Jetpilot

• View Profile
Guess who?
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:40:22 AM »
http://www.wcaeaps.com/

Seems to be a little more modest in this version.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Guess who?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:01:04 AM »
Oh no. Play nice.  :D
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Jetpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:13:08 AM »
I plan to. 
If he really does what the site says he does, and if they are better priced, I wouldn't mind getting one to review.  I have my 1958 8/1 that I still need to make a base for and get running, but wouldn't mind having another engine. 

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »
Again Bullwinkle?

Is this the same guy you all spend 7 pages or so on last time?

Why do you insist on pulling this guy out of your hat?

So much mental illness - so few days left on the planet.  You know; it's contagious.

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:41:09 AM »
this fellow willem is quite a guy, much like the vampire of the B movie, he just keeps coming back again and again.

now to the nitty gritty

i like his warrantee, its good for as long as his company is around?  how long might that be?

a 3 inch mini lathe? wow!

a 36" swing southbend lathe?  double wow!  (ok, maybe 36" between centers?)
southbend never made anything that large to my knowledge.

he lists his cylinder head mods but doesn't mention anything like s souix valve machine?

yes life is way too short!

buyer beware is the best advice.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 04:55:37 AM »
Dare we ask about his EPA certification and risk the wrath o willem...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
lets take up a collection and purchase one of his super engine's, then we can get a look at it, take it all apart, and see just what all the fuss is about. then when we are done, we can put it all back together again and raffle it off to one of the members who contributed to the collection pot.

lets see at 10 bucks a head, it would take a thousand members to get enough money up, then we would have to wait probably forever to get the engine. then we would have to live with the thought that we just provided him with about 10 years of operating capital...

bad idea bob!

anyone know anybody that owns a willem engine?  i have never heard of a single buyer of one of these engines. i certainly would like to know about such an engine and how it has worked out for the buyer.

thats it!!!

we could do a public service and find one shall we say unfortunate soul that bought one of willems engine's, and take up a collection to buy  it from him! 

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

a 3 inch mini lathe? wow!

a 36" swing southbend lathe?  double wow!  (ok, maybe 36" between centers?)
southbend never made anything that large to my knowledge.

bob g

You forgot to mention the Oxy-fuel cutting torches,,,,, ;D

You mentioned evidence of engines. Only one I have ever seen was not in person but was for sale on Ebay a couple years ago for $$$$$  However I do admit to being a bit of a newbie as compared to some or most  here.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:32:12 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
anyone know anybody that owns a willem engine?  i have never heard of a single buyer of one of these engines. i certainly would like to know about such an engine and how it has worked out for the buyer.

Not great:
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6271.0

[snip]
...a flywheel keeps coming loose. The key and all slides....
[snip]
We bought it from Willem Andree.

I inherited a dinged up shaft which has now dinged up two flywheels. I will be contacting Willem about a replacement for both shaft and flywheel. So far I haven’t gotten any help from him on getting spare parts.

Wonder if campcrowe was ever able to get replacement. Campcrowe -- you reading this? How'd it end up?
Listeroid 8/1

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »
Hmm, he fits roller bearings into those caterpillar bearing shells???
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
Where are the videos? Especially the one with clock, him describing the hands of time, back a long time ago etc, Oh and the clock was broken or had stopped. Seriously! I liked most of his technical vedios, thought provoking.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:30 AM »
I guess he reads the forum as a guest. As soon as I posted the above comment, the video appeared on the net. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9F02HNpLc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now my day is complete. This guy needs to get a life.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:28 AM »
I guess he reads the forum as a guest. As soon as I posted the above comment, the video appeared on the net. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9F02HNpLc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now my day is complete. This guy needs to get a life.

Very presuasive delivery, with a decent script this man could sell haemorrhoid cream to lumberjacks!!!!

Mark.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
Why don't we team up with Willem to find those dastardly Lister forum rats and get them?  They sound real bad and people like that don't deserve to have listeroids!  Come on men, meet me for some 4:20  :police: !
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
I did try to calm the waters with Willem a while back. As a result, he went all "black ops", his Youtube account vanished, etc. In fact, it ended up I had no way to contact him...!

His view is, this forum is "out to get him". And I have to say, threads like this (and I'm as guilty as you guys) certainly don't help get away from that perception. IMHO - and Willem, I hope you read this the correct way - you don't do yourself any favours by acting out the way you do either...

Of course, there's a dead simple way to solve all of this, and I believe Bob has already mooted it already: Let's get a WC Andree engine, with all of the good stuff done to it (I'm sure we could have a forum whip-round to raise the funds), and then lets work WITH Willem to do a thorough analysis. Or, because he'd probably not trust us as far as he could throw an engine, let's mutually agree a totally independent company to do a thorough analysis.

For me, I see things like the 100,000 hour claim (i.e. 11 years of 24/7 running) and think "no way José" - it's an impossible claim. The ONLY way to prove it in a reasonable timescale would be with accelerated aging, and I'm pretty sure that's beyond any of us as individuals or as a group? But there must be companies out there that can do the extrapolations, because modern commercial engines all have defined lifespans...

Willem - if you are reading this, and if you want to help yourself AND us, just join up & get in touch.

Or, alternatively, we keep on as we are - sparring with each other. I doubt it's doing either of us any real harm...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.