Author Topic: Lister Single Cylinder Generator  (Read 35352 times)

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
Re: Lister Single Cylinder Generator
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
  Firstly, Thankyou for your input Combustor, that Year of Manufacture looks much more in keeping with the appearance and condition of my unit, and ties in with what DGman believes

Magnicon,

re breathing, that is noted.

the whole overhung rotor discussion scares me, though logically looking at it, I know that this genset was probably used from new as the charging system for a remote radio transmitter, it was taken out of service its head done up and the whole unit put away for possible future use, I cant see where someone fiddling with its mechanical side would fit into this timeline and why would it be changed? Plus there is no visible evidence to support this.

Reason for series globe....NOTED

I can measure RPMs so will do so ASAP though today I am working for a friend so genset will have to wait till my return

I will check the residual output and report back, I will then be quizzing you on AVR's for sure (A? Voltage Regulator, I know I've heard of it in the past)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:56:37 AM by Diesel Down-under »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »
A in AVR stands for automatic.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
   Got that, automatic

I had some time late in the day so I ran some tests and made some adjustments on the genset and these are the results

Residual AC Voltage Output = 10.4VAC @ 1550 RPM

and with 24.3VDC excitation = 170VAC  @ 1550 RPM Frequency was meaured at 51.5Hz

So I shall do some AVR research and await any replies

PS is this a suitable AVR for my requirements..

..http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STC-Brush-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator-220-480-Volt-DX-10-/160531984978?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item256073b252

or

..http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160775477616?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:24:17 AM by Diesel Down-under »

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 02:23:04 AM »
If anyone follows through this thread in the future, I offer the following.....

I purchased one of these GAVR-15 voltage regulators and it works well with my alternator

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAVR15-Generator-Alternator-voltage-Head-regulator120-240-277-V-1-or-3-Phase-/151002692176?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item2328763a50

they are available direct from China or via several other sources

By the time I got around to purchasing mine and hooking it up, my residual output VAC had dropped to around 8 Volts, yet this was enough to trigger the GAVR-15 and it ramped up to 200VAC (out of the box)

I have adjusted it to 240VAC via the circuit board mounted potentiometer (our mains voltage) and done some initial tests and it is running fine.

PS Can any of you Diesel Engine boffins have a look at the first pic in Reply #4  on page 1of this thread and tell me what that small diameter copper pipe is at the upper left of the Lister engine (near the engine tune decal)

it is not connected to anything at present and weeps a small amout of diesel whilst the Lister is running.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:30:40 AM by Diesel Down-under »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »
That is known as the fuel leak-off pipe - it returns excess fuel past the injector at very low pressure and allows the system to be somewhat self-bleeding. That line needs to run back into your fuel supply.

dieselgman

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 03:31:01 AM »
Again, DGenman thanks for the swift and accurate reply, I guessed it was something like that, I will pipe it back into the fuel tank.

On the subject of fuel, is it best to gravity feed this engine or has it some form of fuel pump hidden in there?

oh and another thing I was going to bolt the unit onto some hardwood timber slabs and then bolt the slabs to my concrete workshop floor, do you think this would be OK?

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
You will need to gravity feed it unless you fit a lift pump which goes on where the plate is to the upper left of the oil filter. I see you can buy a new Delphi lift pump on Ebay for $50 AUD including postage from UK to Australia.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:57:39 PM by Madness »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Gravity fed fuel is normal for these and works perfectly. The lift pumps are OK if needed but that always becomes the weak point in the system and prone to failure much more frequently than any other part of the system.

The normal mounting scheme would involve rubber vibration isolaters of some sort - onto steel. Wooden timbers will work fine as well, many have used this method, but wood will tend to absorb oil and dirt over time and become a grimy mess that is difficult to clean up. The wood will also transfer more of the engine vibration into your floor and building than a rubber mount. Vibration and noise is already a bit high with these air-cooled models.

dieselgman

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
OK got all that, will gravity feed as thats the easy option, thanks for the ebay link Madness, and I had intended to rubber mount onto the timber mount using some urethane bushes that I have lying around from another project, then bolt the timber directly to the floor.

Thanks for the input gents.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:19:19 PM by Diesel Down-under »

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »
thanks again to all those who contributed information and ideas

thought you may like to see the finished product.....my 'emergency back-up power source'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fch6kUkZq2E

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
Very nice little unit. Thanks for video.
Question for Gary ,do you have any little units like this?
What would the rate of fuel burn be ?
Would you rate power capability like the CS of 700 watts per hp ?
Thanks

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
I havent checked it fully, but running my house during the day (fridge, freezer, computers and all those other small idling loads) it was about 380ml/Hr

At night it was closer to 500ml/Hr with added lighting and boiling a kettle or 2

Havent fully tested the load upper limits but have had appliances totalling over 4800 watts from memory for a short time

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »
These little singles are great for loads under 5kW.
We stock plenty of them. 7.3 horsepower and 5.4kW at 1800 rpm.
Fuel consumption is pretty attractive as well - 2.8 pts/hr at full load.

dieselgman