Author Topic: Metal lathe  (Read 29718 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Metal lathe
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
How many of you guys have a metal lathe and even better a milling machine too.??I'd be lost without mine and old 14"x36" Hendy and Cincinati toolmaster vert. mill.This stuff is around cheap and it opens new worlds especially with shafts and pulleys[sheves]. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Metal lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
            Retired and sold off my earthmovers, but kept most of the workshop to pursue my old machinery interests. My gear includes a big old early 1900's lathe that will swing about 30" and a better class Chinese machine around 11" x 36".  Also about 3 tons of Cincinnati No.2 Universal mill with vertical attachment and slotter. Still need some time to get familiar and explore the possibilities of the mill, but it sure beats joining the queue at the local machine shop now that we have a mining boom going here.  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
i have a southbend heavy 10 lathe, a 17" leblond rapid production lathe, and a brown/sharp horizontal mill, all of which are waiting patiently for me to get the house remodel done so i can start working on getting 3 phase up so i can use them.

just knowing i have them provides a sense of security, around here to get anything done would take an hour drive and who know's how much of a wait to get back something other than what i asked for.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
Well I want a lathe and mill. Used to do a lot of machine shop where I worked and greatly miss having those tools available to me. Someday soon.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Sfene

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
I've got a 100 yr old Seneca Falls "Star" lathe that I restored. Does everything I need it to, kinda interesting,  it was originally treadle powered ...

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »
I also have a southbend heavy 10 lathe.  No milling machine......... Yet ::)
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:51 AM »
Kinda figured you guys would have some big iron stashed away, old engines and machinery go togather like hot days and cold beer. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

macgyvermike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
Work in machine shop. Have full access to shop anytime.
Not bragging just stating

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
Yep, I've got the whole workshop thing going on too.... an old Herbet Edgwick Mk1 lathe from the late 1930s, a Bridgeport vertical mill from 1985 - and most recenly a Bridgeport Interact 1 CNC mill, also 1985 vintage. I have a couple of old Manchester Rapidor donkey saws, AC/DC TIG welder, MIG welder, and a rather lovely Hardinge turret lathe (which, TBH, I will probably sell to buy another centre lathe).

Mostly used to make bits for themselves, or for the racing car. I've yet to make any Lister components, but it's just a matter of time.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »
Just thought I would get in to South Bend Heavy 10 Adcock Shipely Milling machine and welder  of all make and sizes need to get something to do splines and key ways. Tom T

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 03:09:14 AM »
I have a 12" Craftsman lathe that I inherited from my Dad.  He was just a hobby machinist, but I learned a lot from him about it.  I have a Kent mill (Bridgeport 1J clone); I'm still learning the basics of using it.  I use them both for hobby purposes, odd jobs, etc.  Some day I want to get a bigger, heavier lathe.

Lincoln 225 cracker box stick welder - I can do the basics but try to weld everything flat.

Miller 125 auto-arc MIG welder - bought it used and still learning.  Great for thin stuff (made for auto sheet metal repair).

Big hammer, railroad rail anvil, small vise, bunch of rusty files, a few punches, some old dull drill bits, a couple of grinders.

Working on a forge and furnace for sand casting - all in my head for the time being.

Too many hobbies, not enough time.  Always room for one more tool.

My day job is writing software, which pays the bills and a little left over for hobbies.  If I quit, I'd have time for hobbies but no money!
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Ex gunsmith/machinest here. Kept my Summit 16x60 engine lathe and 9x42 Jet Mill when I shut the shop down.  I think I would have to quit my engine hobby if I had to part with them. We make and "adjust" may parts with them.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
38ac,I to did a stint as a licenced gunsmith 20 or so years,got fed up with all the gov. red tape,now I gladly pay a little more and let someone else have the hassel.Smiths are grossly underpaid for what equipment and skills they need.I made more money baleing hay.Frank C.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
I knoiw what you mean about low paid work Frank. The first few years as tough and was a glorious day when the shop got busy enough that I could turn down work I didnt want to do and people I didn't care to work for. My operation was mainly custom rifles and blueing work. Insurance is what killed my operation, I have too much in my  name to go without it and couldn't afford the rates. Most gunsmithing operations run bare and I couldn't take the risk.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
Several lathes.  Most used is a 14X30 Hendy.  Next is a Warner Swasey 2A turret Lathe.  2 Bridgeports, one an older CNC that needs to find a new home.  Doall surface grinder, American 9X36 radial drill.  Scotchman 51 ton ironworker, vertical and horizontal saws.  Usual support equipment.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three