Author Topic: Right Cam Bushing  (Read 7899 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Right Cam Bushing
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:27:58 PM »
My right cam bushing was installed with the oil groove on the bottom. I assume this is wrong and it should be up?  I'll be putting it back together soon and want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks, Geno
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:25:34 PM by Geno »

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Right Cam Bushing
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 03:13:05 PM »
If you have the oil groove at the bottom it means oil will puddle there so the bearing will have lube on start-up.  Otherwise the oil groove goes in the direction of least pressure on the bearing....good luck figuring out where THAT is!    ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:03:40 PM »
That's also part of my pre-start lube routine, a drop on the exposed cam/bushing, so maybe on the bottom is correct.

Finest regards,

troy

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
What is the opinion of you folks from the land of Listers...where is the groove on an original...? 

Joe     
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
What is the opinion of you folks from the land of Listers...where is the groove on an original...? 

Joe     

I can't remember, but I'd expect to find it at the point of overall lowest load, just off one side of straight down, past bottom in the direction of rotation.

The important question is "is there any visible wear?" if not, don't worry.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 01:02:47 AM »
The only wear was from some Indian crap that was in there. The engine is to new to show real wear.

The idler shaft and left cam bushing have the groove on top. From what I've read here, its for gravity feed, which makes sense. Thats why I asked about this one. What Hotater says makes sense also. What Guy says makes sense too. There is to much sense here.

I, however just found out about something that makes no sense and I want one. A small (3-10kw??) surplus, U.S. Airforce turbine powered generator which (according to my friend/owner of the website I maintain) can be had for under a 1000 US Dollars. My neighbors will be really happy with me then.

Thanks, Geno<at>sprucemtsurplus.com

6/12/06 This is the solution I've reached for the bearing:  http://www.genedevera.com/listeroid/#rcb
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:22:01 PM by Geno »

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 01:32:57 AM »

I, however just found out about something that makes no sense and I want one. A small (3-10kw??) surplus, U.S. Airforce turbine powered generator which (according to my friend/owner of the website I maintain) can be had for under a 1000 US Dollars. My neighbors will be really happy with me then.

Thanks, Geno<at>sprucemtsurplus.com

Hey, Geno, I'd be interested in more details about the turbine generator!  I'm a bit of a aircraft nut (own a Cessna 140 and building a Europa XS kitplane), and get weak in the knees at the smell of burning kerosene!

Even if the generator part turns out to be a 400Hz unit (likely), the turbine itself can be used for all sorts of neat projects.....

Chris

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 01:08:02 AM »
  i just dug into my CD on US Army Military generator sets.  It's apparently a 10kW 28vdc.  Probably to power radio type equipment.  Military uses a lot as it can be done with two lead/acid batteries. 
  The turbine is listed as:
DOD Drawing No.: 83-362
Manufacturer: Tiernay Turbines Inc.
Model: MEP 362A
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 03:31:36 AM »
I just got back from a business trip that put me through nine airports in three days.  In every one I thought about all those small turbines in the tails of the commuters and wondered why more weren't seen on the used market.

To install tight bushings:  Hose the bushing down with something compressed and very violitile...freon is ideal but IF YOU DARE propane is as good.  That puts a bronze bushing to about minus 40 F in five seconds.  Cooling the bushing is faster and less trouble that heating the housing.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 03:59:57 AM »
Dry ice is inert, if you can get it this works well.
CO2 fire extiguisher, never tried this but it can freeze a 5 gallon pale full of beer bottles and water in seconds. Sad this is the only thing I ever did with my fire training.....

Doug

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 12:31:56 PM »
My website doesn't say it but all the bushings went in the freezer prior to my installation attempts. The upper rod bushing would get hot from the hot con rod  before I even got it aligned. I did get it in and aligned but it wasnt easy. The wrist pin was a tighter fit due to some bushing compression. No binding but no play when its oiled up.  All I'm waiting for now are the Timken TRBs and I can really get going.

Thanks, Geno

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »
Cooling the bushing is faster and less trouble that heating the housing.

Also heating a block of metal does not always make a hole larger.  There is a ratio of OD to ID diameters above which the hole can get smaller as the part is heated.

al riley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 05:03:23 AM »
turbines are FUEL HOGS other than that they have ex power to weight ratio

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
I have pressed and made a few bronze bushings in my life and I have found as I was taught whatever the interferance or press fit is....it will shrink the ID the same amount.......the COE of cast iron is .00000655 or .750 dia x .00000655 x130 deg(200 deg actual or smoking paint?)=.0006"....the bushing you will be lucky to keep 1/2 of the chill from the freezer or 5gal can full of beers (I wanna try that one!) Bronze has a COE .00001 or .750 dia x .00001 x 70 deg(0 deg actual)=.0005" (good luck!) So the total is .0011 on a perfect day but lucky if you can maintain temps to obtain a total of .0007". However the larger the diameters are the more the linear expansion per unit of length is...also hardend races need all the help they can get...they wont compress like Bronze. When things cool down and the Bronze had a .001 interferance fit it will shrink the ID .001.....IMO you don't need to do the hot cold with bronze if you press it correctly.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 10:11:29 PM »
I have a genuine  lister 6-1 & 8-1 engine in bits at the moment and they both have the groove at the bottom of the right camshaft bush.

I would post photos if I could work out how to do it.

Mick