Puppeteer

Author Topic: Couplings  (Read 5091 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Couplings
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
As of now I have my ST-1 Lister belted to A ST-10 gen. head with two "B" series belts.I went to belts because there was a good two groove sheve on the engine and I thought I'd have to adjust the speed via sheve size.The lister speed was turned down to 1800 and has the right gov. spring per build code.I'am getting some vibration,problem I don't know how much is normal.Boath sheves run true.I know now I can direct couple to the gen. and I'am partial to Lovejoy  S-flex couplings [two flanges and toothed rubber between] just wondering if it would improve enough to warrent the expense.Is direct coupling much better than "V" belts.??Are the chinese st heads reasonably ballanced from the factory.?? Thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Couplings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
Frank,

The Lovejoy direct coupling should be superior to the belts in many ways, especially on that small engine... \
minimal side loading on your main bearings,
no belt slippage or maintenance,
likely more responsive speed governing.

I do not know what your vibration problem is, but it is something to watch carefully and take care of for sure... I have never seen any balance problems with any of our ST heads, they are factory balanced. It may be your shaft extension or pulleys are out of balance.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
You've been alot of help to me Gary,you can bet when I need Lister parts your the first one I'll call. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:01:36 AM »
Has anyone here tried the couplings sold by Central Ga. Gen. they are very much like the lovejoy couplings with the spiders.They are reasonably priced at $96.00 a set for some pretty large shafts.I need to go from 42mm to 1 1/2" dealing with about 10 hp. Thanks Frank C.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »
I went and ordered the chinese coupling from Tom Osborn at Ga. Gen,and I'am not dissapointed,heaviest duty coupling i've seen.Their solid machined steel,but only in metric sizes. Tom says they have slightly under sized bores,designed for a press fit,and suggested taking a little off the bore with sandpaper until it just starts on the shaft then drive it on with a hardwood block.I lucked out the Lister has a 1 1/2" stub shaft and the undersized 38mm coupling is a perfect match.I don't know the power rating on the coupling but its good for much more horsepower than I have.I asked about a spare synthetic plastic cross,tom said he's never had anyone wear one out. Frank C.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »
Fit the couplings to their respective shafts,piece of cake with a lathe.Chucked the coupling and wrapped a section of old broom handle with abrasive roll,took no time to remove .002 for a light tap fit.Drilled and tapped the couplings for a 3/8 set screw.Now I must modify my base so their face to face. Frank C.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 02:10:54 AM »
Today I modified and legnthened the steel base,had to turn the engine,Lister ST-10,  90 degrees to couple it to the st-10 gen head.Not an easy job everything is so DanGed heavy.I'am very pleased how it came out less vibration and everything running true.I've found over the years that if your  modifying machinery if you carefully level and square everything its much easier. Frank C.