Author Topic: My Lister CS Start-O-Matic Project  (Read 8884 times)

chyangwel

• View Profile
My Lister CS Start-O-Matic Project
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:44:09 PM »
Hi Folks over the last few months I have been putting together a CS Start-O-Matic project the next few post are of the start to finish of the project.
So please enjoy

The engine has found

Here you can see the two fuel tanks the large green one is the one being used & the other green one is the smaller one Both have the level float's and covers the large one is 3/4 full of diesel

Checked for frost damage all clear there

Here you can see the water tower bloody huge

Some info on the generator

Info on the engine plate

Looking at the serial number it’s an 8Hp model made it 1958
Here is a short video showing her working yesterday.
[youtube]R_kXWgCg62Y[/youtube]

One condition of the sale was I remove the engine and take it away. So today my brother and I set about this task.

With the greatest of luck we managed to remove both the flywheels and bloody heavy they are to.

After a lot of hard work the only things left were the base plate and cooling tower

Eventually we managed to get it all loaded. I tell you the generator was the heaviest thing of the whole lot

Hear we are at her new home

Now for the unloading

Here we have the three tanks they are all in good order complete with their lids. The fuel tanks have the level floats all in working order

So there she is and it goes to show that there are still some good finds out there. I had a CS many years ago and never finished restoring it, sold it on I have always kicked myself for this. But now I have another one and very pleased with it indeed.

Cheers Ross
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:55:39 PM by chyangwel »
Sattley TA 1¾ hp, Lister CS Start-O-Matic 8hp, Wolseley WD2 1½ hp, Villiers WX11, Norman T600, Norman T300, Alco Featherweight.

chyangwel

• View Profile
Re: My Lister CS Start-O-Matic Project
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:49 PM »
Hi Folks

Here we have the building of the trolley (well my carpenter friend Geoff has, I’ve been helping)

Geoff set about making the main frame.

All the joints had to be hand cut, but after a while it started to take shape.

He then set about making the base for the water tower and batteries box

While Geoff was doing the carpentry I set about sorting the steering and axle mountings.

Next I made the axle mountings. I used box Iron and will slide the ¾ axle shafts inside and pinch them in place with the lock bolts you can see in the centre

Here we have the fitted axles, wheels, and steering from the underside.

And the finished thing, Just need to make the drawbar now.

Now all I need do is mount the engine and Generator, water tank, switch gear, volt and amp meters. Tidy things up a bit have a test run remove everything and paint the trolley. Not much then.

Cheers Ross
Sattley TA 1¾ hp, Lister CS Start-O-Matic 8hp, Wolseley WD2 1½ hp, Villiers WX11, Norman T600, Norman T300, Alco Featherweight.

chyangwel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »
Here we have the engine all mounted and it first run on the trolley.

Finished fitting the water & fuel tanks. The cross of wood fits into the base of the fuel tank for support.

Made the strap for attaching the fuel tank to the water tower.

Not sure if I like the strap, looks to heavy. May go with this strap setup instead and would be easier for removing the fuel tank for transport.

So I hitched it to the van and towed the whole thing outside and had the first test run.

I ran the engine at 850RPM generator producing 230 Volts and again at 650RPM and the generator producing 114 Volts. I had no major issues the engine ran perfectly at both speeds, with no oil or water leaks and the exhaust was nice and clean.

When it was running I took the opportunity to clean the flywheels.

Not sure if I should paint the engine or not. I'm going to paint the water tower satin silver

Here is a video of the engine running.
[youtube]LvcFAh11tmI[/youtube]

I’m going to paint the trolley mainframe and wheels satin black. The two boxes will be Lister green with brushed aluminium angle on the box corners. Brushed aluminium on the top of the battery box, with volt and amp meters a battery isolator switch. I will have a decal made to go on the mainframe saying “1958 Lister CS Start-O-Matic 8HP”. I may put a Lister logo on the front of the water tower and battery boxes.

I will run the electrics through a RCD unit that will be concealed in the battery box with a small access door to get at it. On the rear of the box I will have a 110V or 240V socket depending on what speed I decide to run the engine at. This will be used for connecting my lighting display.

Cheers Ross

chyangwel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »

Well I’ve as good as finished now, just a few small jobs left to do.

The control panel consists of an AC volt meter, DC volt meter, amp meter and isolator switch.

And loaded on the trailer.

The towball weight is well below the maximum of 80kg

Here we have the complete outfit. In the background you can see the offset of the garage to the drive entrance making reversing in difficult.

All along I have been striving to make loading and unloading straight from the garage as easy as possible. I believe I have now achieved this, here is a short video of the whole process.

[youtube]Fif5gzft4bM[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fif5gzft4bM

It is very pleasing when all your ideas and planning come together.

Cheers Ross

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:56:02 AM »
Wow!

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
What a great Project Ross.  Well executed!

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
Gotta ask:

What you gonna do with it?

Casey

Not only do I have Start-O-Matic envy but my trailer and van envy are running a strong second and third.  Please tell me the van is gasoline and gets 12 MPG.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

bloomers359

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
That looks great, 1st class job,thanks for posting given me some ideas...
 I also have a 1958 SOM that I what to the same with, the only thing holding me up its the electrics  >:(
if anybody knows of a good old school electiction send them my way  :D

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
That looks great, 1st class job,thanks for posting given me some ideas...
 I also have a 1958 SOM that I what to the same with, the only thing holding me up its the electrics  >:(
if anybody knows of a good old school electiction send them my way  :D

Where abouts are you?

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »

What a lovely project !
Well done !
It's great to see these Listers rescued and brought back to life.

cheers,
veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca