Puppeteer

Author Topic: Beautifying the DES 8/1  (Read 10399 times)

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Beautifying the DES 8/1
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Well, as the subject states I just Couldn't stand the Indian "paint" any more, it is not fuel or oil proof at all, it's not really even oxygen proof.
Anyway I took it apart and sand blasted every spec of this stuff of every part, while I had the wheels off I also did 38ac's balancing method drilling holes this time, which turned out perfectly.
I also drilled a two inch hole in the head to use as an oil pre heat system, the thread in the fuel line nuts is metric 14-1.5, I went to a local diesel fuel injection shop and had them make me two twelve inch lines with cones and nuts on each end and cut me one raw piece of line 24 inches long their line is one quarter inch OD one sixteenth inch ID.
The sealing cones are awesome on these lines, they kick the s#it out of the sorry ass Indian things, the cones are separate pieces and they silver solder them on he lines.
I then bought four grade eight 14-1.5 metric bolts making sure there was some straight unthreaded section on the bolts, the bolts were drilled out on the lathe and on the threaded end the hole was counter taper countersunk to match the cones on the lines.
A plate was then made to cover the hole with four holes in the corners to match drilled and tapped holes in the head, and two holes for the drilled out bolts/fuel fittings to pass through these were then tig welded on both sides to the plate with the taper counter sunk threaded portion on the side that would be outside of the head.
I made the twenty four inch long raw section of fuel line into a coil that would fit inside the two inch hole in the head, then drilled out the inside the head ends of the fuel bolt fittings just over one quarter inch so the ends of the coil would fit in these bores, I then tig welded the coil ends to the bolt ends.
Now the coil goes inside the head in direct contact with the cooling water and preheats my WVO before injection, since a picture is worthy a thousand words here are some of the parts.

BioDiesel Brewer

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Re: Beautifying the DES 8/1
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
And here it is all put together and running.
BioDiesel Brewer

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
Beautiful work and proof lipstick can be put on a pig.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Nice work!

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
Cool! Would you mind sharing how did you do your dry sump and lube sytems so it will run sideways??  :laugh: :laugh:
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
Cool! Would you mind sharing how did you do your dry sump and lube sytems so it will run sideways??  :laugh: :laugh:

The problem is between my ears, I can't get GD photo bucket to rotate the damn picture and make it stay rotated, I have a love hate relationship with technology, prolly like 90% hate, I have actually been known to throw printers in the wood stove, also a thing called a print server went up the stove pipe, I know that's not politically correct but that's how I roll.
BioDiesel Brewer

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »
Good work! Keep on trying new things with that tech, or use lister engine gallery to upload your photos.  :)

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
Cool! Would you mind sharing how did you do your dry sump and lube sytems so it will run sideways??  :laugh: :laugh:

I have a love hate relationship with technology, prolly like 90% hate, .

Me three!!!  Id much rather be on the lathe or mill making a part or assembling.  I do like the color scheme. I'm thinking about something non-green for the next one myself.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:28:45 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
The green reminded me too much of puke, especially when it got all curdled up from bio leaks, right now is the first time I do not have one single leak anywhere, makes me kinda nervous, the leaks let me know there was something in there to leak out. ;D
BioDiesel Brewer

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:35:36 AM »
So now it will look like curdled blood?  :P Now it really is a chick magnet.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

getterdone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:39:45 AM »
Good work! Keep on trying new things with that tech, or use lister engine gallery to upload your photos.  :)

dieselgman
[/quote
i couldnt figure out how to use lister engine gallery
                                                                       getterdone    [but i couldn't] ??? :-\]

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08:21 AM »
Don't give up... I had a lot of trouble using it at first. (And I used to be a computer techie and teacher.)  ???

Any more, this stuff can get me cussing - but a new day and refreshed patience usually pays off.  :laugh:

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:17:39 AM »
I think there should be some tutorials around here somewhere for using the gallery and posting images. Ade did a pretty good job explaining the posting process here:

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5796.0

dieselgman

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »
Have you considered rotating the camera or laying down when shooting photos.

You can also right click the jpg file and chose "Open with" Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  Pretty direct uncomplicated program.

Casey
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:08:38 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mauicole

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 06:44:53 PM »
That high pressure line modification is awesome fabricator. I was thinking of something like that but never acted on it since I am currently running an 80%WVO 20%RUG blend. Do you preheat your fuel before starting?

-Cole
1972 Lister SR1
DES 8/1 w/iron piston & 6/1 cam
1983 Ford F250 6.9L Diesel