Puppeteer

Author Topic: Resonance frequency when on castor wheels  (Read 10785 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Resonance frequency when on castor wheels
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »
There is no easy way! I have done it statically and dynamically and Mr X. The 6/1 wheels can not be done any other way than spinning them with the other rotating and reciprocating assembly. I paid good money to balance one dynamically only to find out the % used for the reciprocating mass is the secret value. Many engines use 50-55% but they have aluminum pistons. After many headaches and experiments the % seems to be in the 66-68% area and yours may be slightly different. I would not even start the balance process until you have a load available to apply as this will change the game. This appears to be how they can balance the wheels equally. If they are balanced the same and not perfect for the engine, weigh can be added in the same place on both flywheel to keep them equal until balance is achieved.

I tried it statically this way the first time with the bobweight only to run into the fact one needs to use 1/2 of the bobweight and balance one wheel at a time. I also learned with this process the % has to be known or you can be worse than when you started!

After many headaches and even with the dynamically balanced engine I resorted to MrX method to get them just right. My engines were designed to be portable. I'm not off grid and if a use for them arrived I want to be able to use them. Like this....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9194771268947755783#

After learning more I was able to duplicate another 6/1 to sit in place as portables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxPXGn6BWo&feature=relmfu

Mr X is the way to go....You will learn the magic dance starting the engine...take a break occasionally and clay is your friend ;D

Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

carbon-rod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
hey guys thanks for the great advice! I am actually looking forward to balancing and taming the beast now where as before I was dreading it not knowing where to start. I am flying back to site today :( so I wont be able to work on my engine until I get back, once I getback I might experiment quickly with the chalk method (which is the mrX method right?) as I still need to build a puller to get the flywheels off which I think ill make out of some old bbq plates or something.

I had a look at my flywheelslast night and the moulded weight into the flywheel is inline with the keyway as well as a spoke, it seems some initial balancing has been done already as there are several holes drilled out of the cast weight. now it is important to have the same offset weight on each flywheel is that correct? ok well this will definitely keep me busy on my next RnR.

Thanks guys!

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
Are the roids a close enough copy of the origional lister so you could use the indian castings and lister crank,rod and piston.?? Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 04:27:37 AM »
I would respond in the affirmative... but with some small reservations until I actually measured the two together and looked into every small detail.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
RE: parts interchange with Dursley built engines.

My 1938 Lister CS has some Indian internal  parts and they were all "drop in" fit. There are Indian engines and parts that are very much simplified and different both mechanically and cosmetically and there are engines and parts that are virtual clones of the CS Lister. The current crop of DES kits is very close. With out having laid a mike on the crank I would say the bushing main Indian crank is either a drop in or at the most very minor machine work away from dropping in a real CS Lister. The engines being brought over from Anand or "Powerline" and the old Metro and many others very much differ from the originals in both mechanics and appearance details.  I guess the bottom line answer is  you need to specify that you are working on an original Lister CS and parts what you get from India will either drop in or can be made to work with minor fitting and the external appearance  will be close to original.

Personaly I deal with Dieselgman and let him swet the details of getting me the right parts ;D
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
Butch and all,

Yes, that is an important point to make... there are so many variations within the Indian crop of parts that one should make no assumptions about what is standard. Sometimes it just boils down to dumb luck if they get it right.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations