Author Topic: Converting a 6/1 to a 8/1  (Read 4234 times)

Gippslander

• View Profile
Converting a 6/1 to a 8/1
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
Hi

I've thought about doing this . If I buy the aluminium  piston and rings . What else do I have to change to make a 6/1 into a 8/1 ?

I see that DEV are selling listeroid parts on EBAY, but the freight prices are a killer . The Aussie listeroid supplier seems to have gone missing, the web page is not active  ???

Mike
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Converting a 6/1 to a 8/1
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
The conversion is easy... piston and rings change to the alloy style, flywheels change to the heavier design, camshaft valve timing change over (replace the camshaft). The 8/1 does not use the COV so that can simply be ignored or plugged (IDI heads are the same casting). We do ship to OZ but cost is significant as you have mentioned.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listeroil

• View Profile
Re: Converting a 6/1 to a 8/1
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »

I can not speak for Listeroids but on genuine Listers the camshaft timing is changed by using smaller tappet clearances on the 8/1 engines here is a page from a genuine Lister manual.

The part numbers for the plain camshaft without the lobes fitted is the same for the 6/1 and the 8/. Also the part numbers for the cam lobes are the same. The main difference is that the governor weights are heavier for the 6/1 than the 8/1 here are some pictures showing the difference in size.
With these pictures it should be possible to calculate how much to remove from the 6/1 weights.

Regarding the CO valve it can be fully screwed in and the piston to head clearance adjusted to 8/1 settings to give you the correct fixed compression ratio of 17.5 to 1 for the 8/1.

Regarding flywheels again all I can coment on are my own genuine Lister SOMs and the flywheels are a smaller diameter 60cm on the 8/1 engines and 63.5cm on the 6/1 engines.  I believe this is to keep the flywheel rim speed below 65mph for the higher revs 8/1 engine.

Mick