Puppeteer

Author Topic: otherpower.com problems  (Read 2907 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
otherpower.com problems
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
most of you guys are either members of the otherpower.com windpower forum, and/or know of DanB and DanF

they report today that while they are teaching a class in wisconsin a fire has taken their homes and corporate shop!

reports are they have lost 99% of everything!

more as it becomes available

just wanted to let the membership know

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

potter

• View Profile
Re: otherpower.com problems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
Bummer

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:34:24 AM »
That is terrible.  I hope no one was injured.  I wish them the best.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:46:18 AM »
update from Dan

Hello all!
Thanks for your concern.
We have good news and bad news to report, and remember we are reporting from Wisconsin where we have been since June 1.

Good news:
As of 1 AM this morning (June 11) the fire had NOT torched our houses, nor those of Scotty or George. At the time I was emailing with Steadfast about towers, DanB and I were observing a map posted by CBS news TV in Denver that showed that both George and Scotty's houses were gone, and ours were burning. Fortunately, we found out early this afternoon that that map was INCORRECT. (way to go, TV news---assholes!)

At this time the fire is about 1 mile NE of Otherpower HQ, the wind is driving it away from us, but it does continue to "creep" against the wind towards us at an unknown rate. We will find out more early tomorrow AM after the USFS flies the perimeter with infrared cameras again.

Bad news:
The official perimeter map from the Sheriff (link below) confirms that the fire DID indeed go through Fieldlines.com moderator/diplomat  TimS property. It could be over a week until he finds out if his house survived...heavy smoke prevents aerial survey of destroyed homes during daylight, and roads blocked by downed trees prevent ground troops from entering.
Also, because the fire is currently spreading so fast towards town, very few firefighting resources are being spent to protect a few off-grid hippie houses on the upwind side of the fire. Which is exactly as it should be.....lives are STILL in danger down there by town. And one death has been confirmed already, there may be more. USFS -- all y'all can just leave my house alone, it has a good chance of surviving on its own. Save those townies, and their animals, and don't worry about our houses, "stuff" and least of all our trees.

We have performed our fire mitigation efforts dutifully over the last few years. Cisterns and stock tanks are full for the firefighters. DanB forgot to post instructions for them on how to pump from his well; I forgot the same for my spring. I forgot my passport, forgot to video and list all my "stuff" for the insurance company, and was gone so all my financial records could disappear too (good riddance--red ink). Let the IRS figure that out. My folks saved my cats, cameras, and guns. A mirror of all our computer files goes with me everywhere anyway, it's here in Wisconsin with us.

Again thanks for your thoughts.
Here;s the map (now 20 hours old)
http://www.co.larimer.co.us/emergency/highpark.pdf

Otherpower HQ is about one mile SW of "Basking Dog Road" label (love that road name!)
TimS house is unfortunately in the middle of the gray burned area, near the Section 25 marker on Rist creek road.

DAN F

maybe they dodged a bullet?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info