Puppeteer

Author Topic: power for electric radiator fan?  (Read 22375 times)

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: power for electric radiator fan?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
I've always been fascinated by the idear of using the air the spoked flywheels stir up to cool the radiator.  Build two discs of sheetmetal, with a 6" hole near the hub on one side, and another 6" hole on the opposite side and run flexible hose to a shroud surrounding the radiator.  Sort of a low speed squirrel cage blower. 

But then, induced draft is a lot less complicated.  Let gravity work for you.

q.
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
I've always been fascinated by the idear of using the air the spoked flywheels stir up to cool the radiator.  Build two discs of sheetmetal, with a 6" hole near the hub on one side, and another 6" hole on the opposite side and run flexible hose to a shroud surrounding the radiator.  Sort of a low speed squirrel cage blower. 

But then, induced draft is a lot less complicated.  Let gravity work for you.

q.

Gravity or Thermodynamics?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
Sounds to me like both gravity and thermodynamics are involved here!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
Both.  Gravity causes hot air and hot water to rise, thermo describes the transfer of heat energy.  And money makes the world go 'round.   ;)

q.
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Stan

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
Hi ronmar....re: induced draft, I guess it's how you do it.  If you hook up blades to your flywheel to blow air through the rad, then it will.  If you use the "natural" draft produced by the spokes it won't.  I can't use that however because with the "heavy" flywheels, there are no spokes which don't produce enough draft for heavy use in hot conditions.

If you are talking about radiators set high up and using a focused draft by convection only, that would work except in heavy use conditions in hot weather.  It's like subway gates, how many do you need, you need enough for the highest useage conditions or your machine will boil and overheat at the worst time.
Stan

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Induced draft via exhaust (ala the Rumely oil pull tractors) does not involve gravity or thermodynamics, it's pneumatic.  The air path does not have to be upward, the suction induced is so strong that the path could downwards.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
Stan, any air being moved by the flywheel is being pumped...  What Bruce and I are refering to is a draft being induced by the injection of exhaust gas into a pipe.  Same way an Eductor or shallow well jet pump uses pressurized water to pump a larger volume of water.  Put the radiator in a tunnel/shroud.  Narrow this pipe down and pipe the exhaust into the larger pipe with the exhaust pipes opening pointing away from the radiator.  This high velocity pulse of exhaust pushing along the larger pipe gets the whole air colum inside the larger pipe moving very nicely creating a low pressure area upstream from the exhaust pipe... 

IF done correctly, the draft this induces will move more than enough air thru a radiator to cool the engine.  Coupled with the inducer placed in a vertical chimney, the airflow thru a rad will be more stable and much enhanced.

Bruce has some great pics of his setup, perhaps he can post a link to that topic so the OP can get an idea of how simple this can be... 

I have been looking at exhaust waste heat recovery.  This is the only reason I have not configured my secondary cooling in this very same manner.  No moving parts, nothing to break, absolutely perfect cooling method for a stationary generator set IMO...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:43 AM »
Here's the thread with photos of my Rumely Induced Draft setup:
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=2556.0