Puppeteer

Author Topic: Single bearing mount  (Read 4468 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Single bearing mount
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »
The very prolific chinese "silent" generator that everyone rebadges such as Aurora,Everlast est. with the Yanmar L 100 clone diesel,do they use a standard generator mount.Will outher single bearing generators bolt up to their tapered shaft,does anyone know.? In outher words is their an industry standard,or does each manufacturer run hog wild. Thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Single bearing mount
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
The very prolific chinese "silent" generator that everyone rebadges such as Aurora,Everlast est. with the Yanmar L 100 clone diesel,do they use a standard generator mount.Will outher single bearing generators bolt up to their tapered shaft,does anyone know.? In outher words is their an industry standard,or does each manufacturer run hog wild. Thanks Frank C.

I would say yes but anything is possible I suppose? One of our large Yanmar distributors here in Ohio also happens to build up the direct mount gen set units that end up being sold under many names, some we all know.   He told me they sell quite a few Yanmar engines to replace the clones on those directmounted sets.  I bought an L48 staright shaft for a future project.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »
38ac,your probibly right,found a replacement gen. head from northern tool and the bolt circle and pilot seem to match what I have.The only real problem with the unit I have is the end bearing mount die casting seems to have warped or egg shaped and allowed the rotor ot rub the stator lightly.I have heard that once a rotor rubs a stator it desturbes core and sets up eddy currents.I will probibly sand where it rubbed ,blow it out and spray with glyptal.Should that be a reasonable fix.?? I will try to order just the end casting,but its hard to get a fix on the manuf. thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Cant answer that? I'm pretty dense 'lectricaly
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:15:44 AM »
Frank,

Generally, once the rotor swipes the stator cores our generators are considered "toast". Time for a rewind and maybe other major repairs... it couldn't hurt to try your repair but best to test your windings for leakage first.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:39:56 AM »
Gary,was that type of failure common with those gen. heads and what usally caused it.Seems everyone uses those brushless heads is there one manufacturer or many.??Probibly I'd be better off replacing the whole head the set has 150 hours run time. Thanks again nice to get advice from someone in the business. Frank C.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:35:50 AM »
Frank,

The usual cause of bearing failure, (lack of maintenance or simple parts failure), and the gradual increase in slop at the end of the shaft until contact starts and core and windings are damaged. I do not do much with these little machines but I believe there are quite a number of different manufacturers involved. If you have the time to do testing and experimentation, maybe your unit can be resurrected... in our shop, simple replacement would be a more likely logical choice.

On the medium to larger sets, 10,000 hours is considered normal bearing life - assuming proper maintenance. We mostly use sealed bearings any more and so it is a matter of keeping things clean and temperatures within range... any temperature rise or unusual vibration is a tell-tale sign that the bearing is starting to fail.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:41:18 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations