Author Topic: ST full load  (Read 2804 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
ST full load
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:11 AM »
Removed the doghouse today marked all leads.Got a good look inside and not really that impressed with the workmanship,rotor leads just twisted togather by hand and those supplied "50amp" lugs.I won't bad mouth it  unfairly, havent run it up with a load yet.Has anyone with a good prime mover put a full rated load on one for an extended period.?? Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ST full load
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 03:45:32 AM »
i use a powersolutions st7.5, and have literally flogged the living crap out of it
in testing, driving it to 8.1 kwatts into a resistive load for hours on end while working
on heat exchangers, running fuel consumptions tests etc.

the head hardly even gets warm to the touch, i can leave my hand on the case for as long as i like.

maybe not the best heads, but mine seems more than adequate.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: ST full load
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
Crude and simple technology... but have heard of very few outright failures. It is my impression that these are a bit overbuilt for their ratings and are a good value. As stated often here - want a Cadillac? You will pay for it up front! Buy a Marathon (at 4 or 5 x the price $$$) if that is the case.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations