Puppeteer

Author Topic: 20 inch Stover flywheels  (Read 12142 times)

sframe

• View Profile
20 inch Stover flywheels
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »
Hi,
I am new at this. Has anyone put 20 inch Stover flywheels on a Powerline 12/1  ??
Would like any info I can get.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Re: 20 inch Stover flywheels
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
I haven't tried it but if they will fit and can be secured tite on the shaft try it.They may not be balanced well enough, you could be plowing new ground only way is to try.Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
Balance issues are not insurmountable... To my knowledge it is possible to combine flywheels on the Lister crankshaft in any number of ways and they do not have to even be the same from side-to-side. It is possible to have more than 2 flywheels and various combinations and still have proper engine balance. Common sense would indicate that they should be the same from side-to-side but we have seen original units setup and run with 3 flywheels before - therefore original crankshafts should be strong enough to handle highly differing torque forces from one side to the other.

That said, there might be some real issues in swapping OEM Dursleys with Indian clones. We know the metallurgy of the clone crankshaft forgings and the surface hardening is not the same as the originals. The flywheels may not have the same weight distributions and key positions - I have heard that some of the clones have the flywheel keys at 180 degrees opposite from the originals. I hope anyone who has experimented in this regard will speak-up here and let us know about their experience. (Sadly, our actual hands-on experience with the Dursleys is very limited on these particular models.)

dieselgman
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:26:48 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have different fly wheel to go with an electric start kit. They came with weights. The fly wheels that are on now don't have weights, they have holes drilled in them. Which is best?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:44:46 PM »
I would prefer to add weights for balance rather than drilling any day. Some of the Indian clone wheels have been excessively drilled because of the need for balancing major casting flaws that were filled with body putty.

dieselgman

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:46:16 AM »
The Electric start kit I got at Central Maine Diesel included weights that are 9.6 lb each. The engine I think should run at 1000 RPM's to produce 8 kilowatts. Does the total of 19.2 lbs seem excessive for balancing? I really appreciate any help I can get as I am trying to learn all I can about this and get it right.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:55:46 AM »
What did Central Maine Diesel tell you about those 9.6lb weights? Normal balancing efforts would likely be in ounces and grams rather than pounds.

dieselgman

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
They told me nothing, didn't seem to know. What can you tell me and where can I get the proper weights and info???

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »
I will talk with some of my suppliers and seek a little detail on the matter. We can do a bit of guesswork and apply our own engineering reasoning if nothing else... I would suspect that they supplied the weights to equal and balance whatever is attached to the opposite side.

Can you post some pictures of your weights and start kit?

Has anyone else installed or investigated one of these kits?

dieselgman

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
I had a conversation with Phil, (I think), at CMD a couple of years ago about electric start kits. But it just sort of went away. CMD is a member of the group. he's centralmainediesel on this site, though he has not posted since dec. 9th 2010. have you tried talking to Phil ? he seemed like a nice enough & helpful guy. please post pictures if you can, as i am still interested in electric start. The weights most likely are to replace the weights bolted to the crankshaft. is this the kit with the single, solid flywheel to replace one of your existing wheels ? if so Stationary parts in England has sold them for years & had some info on them on their site. try looking here           http://www.stationary engineparts.com//   would you mind if I asked what your kit consisted of & how much it cost?  Thanks
                                                                                                                     Scott R
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:34:35 PM by lowspeedlife »
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
/Users/georgiaframe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2012/06/02/20120602-/Photo on 6-2-12 at 3.07 PM #2.jpg150826

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
Would love to post some pics, but can't figure out how to post pics to this forum??

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5796.0

Ade has done a pretty good job explaining... :)

dieselgman

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7040&g2_serialNumber=2[/img]

Bought fly wheels, starter, brackett, alternator, and weights with new crank. 850.00. Talked with Dan and Bill. Seem to be more into parts than info.

sframe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »