Author Topic: Winter starts  (Read 6242 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Winter starts
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
How tough is it to start a hand crank lister in cold[read real cold] weather.My lister ST-1 has the little oil cup and plunger.I realize it has alot to do with engine condition.What are exceptable starting aids?? Trouble is when its on a generator you don't have any kilowatts when you need them to warm the engine. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Winter starts
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:00:38 AM »
We run these in Alaska... oil viscosity goes to extremes when it is frozen - cold starting can be greatly aided by use of synthetic oils. We do not recommend any starting aids due to ring damage if too much is injected. The cold-start cups may work OK down to about freezing. Best bet is to preheat the crankcase and inlet manifold. A DC electric heater plug is available for inlet air pre-heating in the manifold. Preheating the lube oil is another matter, not well handled with any known DC electrical heater, but an insulated generator shed with some heat source (wood or propane heater) can suffice.

The old school method would be to build a fire, heat the unit up as much as possible, remove air filter, put a diesel soaked rag over the inlet manifold and light it afire when you start cranking (it will draw the preheated fuel/air/smoke and all into the port)... Sounds bad, but it will work if you are really stuck and must get things going.  :o

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:07:49 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:34:38 AM »
My one and only experience was last winter I went over to the shop after something and happened to glance at the thermometer inside the shop and it was between zero and +5 . My DI Metro was there and the thought came, Wonder if it will start?  15-40 Rotella is thick at that temp but it really wasn't a huge struggle to get it fast enough to throw the decomp and to my surprise it fired first stroke and even ran cleanly.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:20:54 AM »
Yep, a little preheat goes a long way.  A camp stove and a propane torch can be carefully applied to warm the block, intake and ip/injector line.  I put a little alcohol in around the injector and light it so I am squirting in warm fuel.  Warming the oil and the main bearings will help make it easier to crank in cold weather
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:31:41 AM »
Propane torch.  Lit or just pushing propane into the intake?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:58:44 AM »
preferably lit! The trick is to get the intake air up to combustion temps, (after compression) - for the diesel fuel spray to ignite in.

The propane suggestion is a good one that I forgot to mention! I have been saved more than once by a good old weed-burner torch and tank of propane.

dieselgman

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
Thanks guys,I've got one of those radiant propane heaters that mount on a 20 pound bottle that will likely do the deed.Also got a case of Amsoil marine synthetic diesel oil.I'll have to try starting this coming winter besides what good is a standby genny if it isn't standing by.?What do you folks consider a good exersize scedule.? Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Frank,

A good standby run schedule would consist of a test-run once a month with load. Minimum time would be long enough to get to full operating temperatures (with load). This is a fairly standard operational readiness regime. Your own situation and specific requirements would trump any arbitrary schedule. The main points are prevention of stale fuel sitting inside the machine, drying out of seals and gaskets, condensation remaining in place on any internal or external components, any homesteaders in the way of rodents and insects getting too cozy in or on your machine, dead batteries and the like.

dieselgman

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
Frank,

A good standby run schedule would consist of a test-run once a month with load. Minimum time would be long enough to get to full operating temperatures (with load). This is a fairly standard operational readiness regime. Your own situation and specific requirements would trump any arbitrary schedule. The main points are prevention of stale fuel sitting inside the machine, drying out of seals and gaskets, condensation remaining in place on any internal or external components, any homesteaders in the way of rodents and insects getting too cozy in or on your machine, dead batteries and the like.

dieselgman

+1, once a month or thereabouts works well for me.    Those tank-top propane radiant heaters would be great for warming up an engine fairly quickly.  A kerosene radiant would also probably work well to get some heat into the cast iron structure.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

wiebe

• owner kubota knd3 2x
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
If needed.
Remove all the cooling water, heat it on what you have and back in too the engine .

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
Good advice - (except we were talking about an air-cooled Lister model.) Better hope that any water coolant is anti-freeze enhanced in any extreme climate situation or it will likely destroy the engine water jacket when it freezes solid.

Your input reminds me of another old trick for extreme situations though... you can also drain out the engine oil (while it is still warm from the last run), keep it inside with you near the heater until you are ready to go start the engine. The oil can also then be preheated on a stove and then poured into the engine for an easy startup. (Old bush-pilot trick)

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:01:24 PM by dieselgman »

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
Most of us in the lower 48 don't realise how hard it is to survive and run machinery in the frozen north.Even if a diesel can be started its hard on them,one fridgid start equally many many hours of running wear wise.My two big diesels,a JD-70 and Ford/Dagenham on the mill boath have block heaters and get warmed before start. Frank C.