Puppeteer

Author Topic: ST Shipping  (Read 5898 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
ST Shipping
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
Are there any reliable ST dealers up here in the northeast,Shipping is almost as expensive as the unit,I'am thinking road trip. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: ST Shipping
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:19:26 AM »
These days shipping is our largest expense... especially with importation of this stuff. A generator head should ship anywhere continental US for just over $200.

We recommend direct shipment from importer because transport costs will always be incorporated in your pricing anyway. I do not know who is doing this in the NorthEast.

dieselgman.
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
Last year I hauled a trailer load of eight ST gen heads from Central Georgia Generator to Maine where I dropped them off for free. I am limited to about #5,000 on my tandem axel #8,000 rated 16 foot trailer. Well not actually totally for free: Sam at Gott’s Marine gave me a few listeroid trinkets (I.e. Head gaskets, bearings, Metro hats, etc.) about $50 to $75. I wasn’t really looking for anything, since I purchased a Metro 6/1 from him and was going to use the trailer I brought from Florida to haul it back anyway. The point is, I would be willing to it again, and perhaps there are others too. In my case last year, it gave me an excuse to meet Tom Osborne (real nice guy), check out his very cool operation, and do something to advance the good of the order (Listeroid ownership). If I do it again, my only conditions are the destination must lie on my travel path or be very close to it, no hassle off loading, be on time, and get me off loaded quickly, and back on the road in an hour or so.

I mention this because I may be driving from Florida to Colorado – Montana for vacation sometime between June 22 and July 17, 2012. I will probably do the first 2 ½ weeks in the rocky mountains then return to the Florida Keys for the last part. I haven’t firmed everything up yet, but it is looking very good. If I decide to go, I plan to drive my Silverado 4X4 pickup truck out west. It not a big deal for me to hitch my trailer up, make one stop in Georgia to pick up a load of ST gen heads and another along the way to drop them off.

This is directed to Dieselgman. If your business model includes buying STs from Tom Osborne, I would be willing to discuss transporting a load of STs, up to #5,000, from Georgia to your shop in Kansas in exchange for site tour of your business. Same offer goes for someone in the eastern part of Colorado. I would need a safe and secure place to store my trailer while I am hiking / camping in the mountains. I would pick it up on the way back. Come to think of it, I might even bring back a Listeroid or two if my wife isn’t looking.

Oh, I have a new in the wood box ST 10 Gen Head, never opened it, stored in an air-conditioned barn for the last year, I will sell it for cost, and want to buy an ST 5. I need to standardize my ST head inventory to 5 - 7.5 kW and 12 – 15 kW: Bearings, fan, electrical parts, belts, etc.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:28:26 AM by Horsepoor »
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:28:29 AM »
Horsepoor those are some generous offers,your really a rover.Its a shame fuel is so high now I just retired and would like to tour the country, but every mile is precious.Probibly the best thing is to have a mini vacation and pick up an ST along the way.Shipping co's don't like to deliver residential and charge more.Horsepoor,is your ST-10 in Florida?? Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
We buy from Tom once in awhile... we will be needing to restock genheads for our current container of larger engines up to 20kW.

Your offer is more than generous and we would like to do something along the lines of your suggestion. Keep it modest so your costs don't climb too much. This will allow for a bit of cost reduction in our packages.

You are of course always welcome to come tour my Kansas operation anytime!

dieselgman

Horsepoor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »
Diselgman - Here is the way I look at this. I really busted my ass during my 20s working fulltime, going to college part-time, earned a BSME in 8 years, then screwed up and got married, lost some time there. Then, got back on track, finshed my first M.S. then got a second masters degree. Advanced professionally as high as I can on merit, higher positions are appointed, I have too much integrity to be promoted higher, selected for and graduated from two out of state elite executive leadership & professional development schools, each four months in length. So here I am, 54 yoa, one full time career, and two part time jobs with 2 more years to retirement. After 35 years it will be time to get out of the way and let someone else advance.

I really like my listeroid hobby. Maybe it is was the little pill steam engine I didn't get when I was a child, I don't know, but I really enjoy reading the forum threads and "tinkering" with my existing stuff. When I retire from job #1, I intend to get more stuff and spend more time tinkering. So, I have a vested interest in supporting the very few commercial enterprizes providing parts and support to the listeroid owning community. God knows you are not making your living on listeroids, so you must be an authentic purest.

As for costs, my truck gets 17 mph and 15 mph pulling my loaded trailer on level ground. As long as I am driving that way for vacation, the additional costs are small and the loss of 1/2 a day if worth it for the good of the order. I really want to check out the "stuff" in your shop. Due to the short notice and potential limited ST inventory at CGG, you may want to open a line of communication to see what he has on hand or will have on hand by late June 2012.            
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:25:05 AM by Horsepoor »

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
Horsepoor,talked with Chris at CGG yesterday,may 21, said they just got a container in. Frank C.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »
I really want to check out the "stuff" in your shop.     

We visited Gary last summer when I went to KS to visit my son.  His operation is pretty impressive.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Horsepoor,

I will work up an order for Tom Osborne, most likely to be other than ST models though. No hurry, and no guarantee that I will not be in Alaska during late June. That will depend on scheduling of our summer maintenance contracts there and somewhat on what demands are happening in Kansas. We have a pretty good crew in Kansas now so the better they get, the less I will need to be there keeping a watch.

We earn most of our living in Lister parts and service. OEM Lister is very high priced stuff! The clone hobby sort of goes along with the theme and I enjoy messing with the old engines and alternative energy in general. I used to be an off-grid operator in Alaska and still support a lot of people that are doing that. I work in 18 villages that produce 100% of their own power - full-on commercial diesel power (Caterpillar, Cummins, John Deere) in most cases, and very few Listers anymore except for small homestead cabins and lodges.

dieselgman

Horsepoor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 04:20:17 AM »
For this vacation, I must make airline reservations for my wife to fly out west (Florida to Colorado). She doesnt like to drive, I am carrying all our camping stuff in my truck; Plus, we have lots of SKY miles to use. So for this trip and because I didn't hear back definitely from anyone on my offer, my plans are to make it a quicker trip and leave the trailer in Florida. I will be taking other drive vacations in the future, and I am willing to make the offer again. Reminder, CGG and drop off location must be very close to my intended travel plans. Free pickup and delievery under these conditions, upto 5,000 lb load.