Puppeteer

Author Topic: ST model Lister  (Read 7956 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
ST model Lister
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
Couple of questions haven't found a manual yet.What is the valve lash clearance,how do you adjust the speed and whats the oil capacity??This engine supplied the electric for a Boston harbor barge and is one sweet running engine,almost fudged my rompers when I drained the fuel from the tank looked like chocolate milk,quess their not too fussy. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: ST model Lister
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:40:50 AM »
Well their fuel system is actually not very tolerant of dirty fuel... clean her out carefully - especially the filter and fuel filter bowl and tank bottom. Advisable to run through a bit of biodiesel or other good fuel system cleaner. The fuel pumps seize up fairly easily, and injector nozzles clog as well with sometimes drastic results.

Lister lists a "go - no go" spec for valve adjustment - but we generally just go for a snug .006 on the ST.

Speed is adjusted differently on different spec engines... if yours has a variable speed governor and control, then there will be an external lever to change speed. Otherwise, you will have a fixed speed governor that is adjusted and controlled through a speeder spring and its internal governor springs and weights. They are interchangeable and all parts are available. You can change the tension on your speeder spring to make subtle speed changes.

Oil capacity depends on how many cylinders yours has... basically about 1 to 2 1/2 gallons (for 1 thru 3 cylinder), but I would have to look this up to get the exact figure for you. Take a look at the dipstick and keep her on the full line!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »
Dieselgman thanks for the reply, tank off cleaned as will be the filter housing and lines.Have you ever used a product called seafoam an additive to fuel/oil I'am not a believer in snake oils but that stuff works.The ST gov. is set now for 2000 rpm's on the flywheel side and of course 1000 on the half speed shaft,thats fine with me.I will be belting it up to a generator head eventially. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
2000rpm sounds quite high for that engine... even though they are rated up to 2500. If you can slow it down quite a bit and still realize the required horsepower, you will gain economy and longevity. How many cylinders?

dieselgman

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:17:53 AM »
Dieselgman,its a one cyl. is the speed adjustment the threaded rod and nut just below the injector cover plate? Pulled the fuel filter and lines off today for a thourough cleaning.Removed enough cowling to clean the fins on the jug.Very impressed with the fit of parts on this engine it was built with care.Do you happen to know if a US starter like say a Delco will fit on this engine.?Thanks for your help. Frank C.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:43:56 AM »
Yes, these are very nicely built engines with legendary reliability. The threaded stud that extends out of the front (timing) cover changes tension on the speeder spring and thus adjust engine speed. Delco starters fit with an adapter plate.

dieselgman

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
Sorry to have so many questions but how is crankcase ventilation handled in the ST-1,can't seem to find any breathers.Thanks Frank C.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
No breathers on these engines. The ST runs a crankcase vacuum and is ported through tubes into the inlet ports.

dieselgman

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
No breathers on these engines. The ST runs a crankcase vacuum and is ported through tubes into the inlet ports.

dieselgman
And very often neglected,they are under the rocker cover(s) and should be the first thing to suspect in the event of unexplained oil leaks.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 02:36:51 AM »
Dieselgman,my generator will be for standby and will probibly outlive me,longevity is not my prime concern.I would like to slow it down from 2000 to 1800 should that be doable without changing springs and flyweights.??It has a single speed governor with no throttle control.Got the fuel system all cleaned out oil changed and painted.It holds about three quarts of oil.Thanks again Frank C.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:12:08 AM »
You can try slackening the speeder spring adjustment... if needed, I can get the spring and weight combination for 1800rpm for you.

dieselgman

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
Dieselgman,adjusted the valves,they were about .020 set  them to .006,and blew out the crankcase vent tube to be sure its open.Dropped the RPM's from 2000 to 1800,what a differance seems like its running half speed.Won't know if the governor adjustment is good until I get a variable load on it and see how it acts.I've got a case of synthetic diesel engine oil I will use after this oil is drained, hopefully help winter starts.Thanks again. Frank C.