Author Topic: Need advice on selling my Listeroid and Redstone  (Read 2750 times)

Randybee1

• View Profile
Need advice on selling my Listeroid and Redstone
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
Hey guys, A few years ago I bought a Listeroid 6/1 and a Redstone from John F. (Woodnstuff). I welded some frames for them and packed them away in my garage. My plan at the time was to store them for 10 years, retire, then build my retirement home in southern Virginia and use these 2 as back up power etc for an off grid house. I also bought a few extra heads for the 6/1 as well as the "complete" spare parts package from Central Maine Diesel. Well... Now I'm seriously thinking of buying 2 of the 20 hp Laidong engines from John F and selling the 2 previously mentioned engines. I like the idea of having 2 of the same engines, side by side as my power source ( commonality of parts etc).

What do you all think? Are they worth selling? If so.. how much would be reasonable? I have no intention of making a profit, just selling them for fair market value or a little less.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Randy B

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on selling my Listeroid and Redstone
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
I hear what you're saying, but consider that those are 20 HP engines, and diesels aren't happy unless they're pulling 75% or more of their rated capacity.  Do you really need 7-8 kilowatts at close to 1 gallon/hour?  A smaller diesel makes more sense for what you're contemplating. 

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
My listeroid 6/1 is adequate for our off-grid home. It's a 2100 sq ft home with all the standard appliances, except A/C. So I'm with Quinn on this one. I have a 195 that could be powering the house, but the sound of the 6/1 is so sweet I don't think I'll change even for the electric start.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:38:20 PM »
Dam it guys.. you were supposed to steer me towards buying some more engines.. ;)
But seriously though, good advice. I'll keep the Listeroid... but still might get rid of the Redstone since I have a Cat engine/gen combo that I can use for back up to the 6/1

Thanks!

Randy B