Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lancashire dynamo and crypto generator help  (Read 2510 times)

andy12

• View Profile
Lancashire dynamo and crypto generator help
« on: March 02, 2021, 05:25:20 PM »
Hello, can anyone help me with a generator I’ve just acquired please. It’s a Lancashire dynamo and crypto 66amp three phase with an HA6 engine. I’d like to get it going again, the engine runs fine but when it was removed someone cut all of the wires in the connection box on the generator. I’ve had it running and measured the voltage on the main terminals but it’s fluctuating massively. There’s a lot of small terminals in the box that the wires were cut on and I’m wondering if this maybe the trouble. I think it also had some sort of auto start on it which again has had all of the wires cut, I’m not too bothered about this though. I’ll try and add some pics.
Thanks
Andy.

andy12

• View Profile
Re: Lancashire dynamo and crypto generator help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »
Pic

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
Pic

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
Pic

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »
Pic

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 05:39:37 PM »
Pic

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 04:51:58 PM »
So the only damage to the power side of the generator was cutting the wires, which were feeding power to a load of some kind??

“There’s a lot of small terminals in the box that the wires were cut on and I’m wondering if this maybe the trouble.”

These small terminals were bare with no wires or were there wires attached and were they in the same box that fed power to a load and are they in the picture?

Did you check to see if the load/output voltage from the generator was DC?

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 07:20:49 PM »
I don’t know what they were attached to, I didn’t remove the generator from its original installation  and don’t know who did. They are in the same box as the heavy connection terminals hopefully the markings on the terminals are visible in my picture. I’m wondering if they were connected to some sort of voltage selection switch as it’s 240/415v. It’s definitely an AC machine.

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
Just realised you can’t see where the wires were cut, but yes they’re the all white ones in the picture, the cuts are just out of the picture.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 09:08:08 PM »
Hello Andy: Sorry about the delay.

If your still around, I sent the picture of the six coils to a fellow I know.

If you didn't know already this is his reply

"That is a transformer automatic voltage regulator Scott, on those types the voltage can be adjusted and if you need to I'll tell you how. If the unit works it would be useful to keep as these type AVR's are good for handling inductive loads. I've probably got a wiring diagram for this type somewhere."

If you want I can send him more information and see what he has to offer.

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 12:18:16 AM »
Hello, it would be great if you could see if he can help, let me know if he needs me to take any more pictures. Thanks.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 01:24:27 AM »
Ok, we can do that, can you be more specific as to how and where you measured the voltage out put but was unable to get consistent readings??

No offense intended of course, the reason I asked about DC  if the meter is not set for the correct voltage the display will be scrambled. My meter says it automatically switches to the correct AC or DC but it doesn't. Just want to clear that up.

Probably pictures of any wiring or what ever seems useful.

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 01:26:42 PM »
Yep I certainly had the meter set to AC, although it is a digital meter, I’m wondering if I should use an analogue one.
I measured the voltage between each of the phases and the neutral I also measured the voltage across each phase. The meter was jumping around so much it wouldn’t give anything I could read. I then checked the meter on the mains which proved my meter was working ok. I’m thinking it must have something to do with the six wires that are in the connection box. It also had some kind of auto start system on it which I’ve taken pics of, I’m not bothered about that working, but don’t know if it’s related.
Thanks
Andy.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
If I am interpreting your post correctly measuring each phase to neutral should have given you a voltage. If true what was the voltage?

Again, if I am interpreting your post correctly measuring across each phase, as I see it, does not give your meter a point of reference therefore no  reading.

You mention checking the mains is that the same thing as measuring a phase to neutral? What is the difference between a phase and a main ?

What did you use for neutral ?

I sent the picture of the mains to him, here is what he had to say about the white wires.

“White wires normally go to the control console of a generating set, if you don't have the console you'll have to start again as it's not possible for me to guess what they are. Normally they will be connected to various volt meters and to do with safety engine shutdown in case of over volt or over
speed.”

I was hoping he would have something to say about the lettering under each main. I can see a b c d, LD1 (load 1) under A, LD2 under B but I can’t see if there is anything under c and d. I would expect to see LD3.

Is it a b c D or a b c N?

Any way the mystery of the white is wires solved; you can play around with them and build a new console. The rest of the wiring looks to be in place and can do the mysterious things they do.

Optimistically, it looks like you might not really have a problem other than deciding whether to use three phase or single phase.

andy12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 07:19:39 PM »
Sorry I should of made myself clear when I said the mains, I was referring to the main supply from the power company into my workshop! I was just testing my meter was working correctly.
When I measured from the phases to neutral my meter was so unstable I couldn’t read any numbers at all, I will try it with an analogue meter and maybe a load on the generator.
I’ll have a look tomorrow and see what the symbols are and let you know.
Thanks.