Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa Kubota radiator delete?  (Read 7182 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Changfa Kubota radiator delete?
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
I have been putting together a small generator from parts I have acquired. The engine is a Kubota EA500-N.

I built a new frame and installed a Leece Neevel to charge batteries at our off grid ranch.

I thought I had all of the bugs worked out....oil leaks...bad seals but wouldn't you know it all of my test running a getting all just right before I was going to commit it to the wilderness and I have developed what appears to be a leak in the radiator. I am not sure if it is the radiator itself or the seal where it mounts to the engine block. I took it off and it appears someone else has also from the new silicone on the radiator where it mounted to the block. No soldiering has been done on radiator. I know many guys toss the radiator. I will do the same if this one is dead. Before I do that and all of the work involved I am looking for suggestions on how to check this style radiator. The coolant appeared to be coming from the tubes but in reality it was everywhere. It is well built. Any suggestions on how to find a bad tube?

Now if it can't be fixed what is the proper way to make a plate so an external radiator can be added?   
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Changfa Kubota radiator delete?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
If eveything underneath is the same as the Chinese clones the plate is dead simple to construct.  The bolts are a bit widely spaced. My first plate was 1/4" and I had a problem with seapage.  #2 was made from 1/2 plate and that not only fixed the leaks but made mounting the inlet and outlets a snap as I could drill and tap for NPT for the nipples and for the sending uinit that controlles the fan.  I have seen no reason to add a thermostat. Mine warms up quickly to about 180 and fan cuts in when it reaches 195.  A drop tube added to the retrun side nipple (closest to the crankshaft) realy helps with the thermosyhon. Mine is only 2" below the plate, works perfectly.
Radiator and sender are 90 Honda Civiic items, purdy cheap brand new at the autoparts places.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the pictures! I am going to make a plate to test my radiator and see if it can be repaired. If not I will use the test plate as my radiator delete about the same as you did. I like the sending unit install idea. I looks like your radiator should keep it way cool!
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
Ya, there is some overkill in the radiator and there may indeed be a better small car type to use? There was a Civic in the parking lot at work and I asked the owner to pop the hood and it looked good enough to me. Pretty scientific eh? LOL.  With a decent load on a hot day the 1115 will put more load on the cooling system than one would think but out in a small breeze the fan never runs.  Since this build I have gone to John Deere LUC power unit radiators and I am certain that under all but the highest loads and hot/still days no fan would be needed at all.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel