Author Topic: 24/2 petteroid genset startup  (Read 3902 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
24/2 petteroid genset startup
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:57:17 AM »
well my buddy and i finally decided who gets what, and he ended up with the indian petteroid genset.

got it uncrated, installed the axles and wheels, replaced the broken fan with the extra that was provided, removed the crankcase covers and cleaned out half of india.

the oil was honey gold, but the engine was filthy!

used a couple of cans of brakecleaner to wash out all sorts of black crud, a little sand but mostly just black carbon looking dirty grime.

my buddy couldnt stand it any longer and decided sunday to try and start it.

filled with fuel, petcock leaks, tank seem leaks, lines leak all the normal crap,,, but hey its cool

i wasnt there but he relates the following

" bob,,,, i got it running,,,,,
i cranked on it for about 15 minutes, bleeding lines,, bleeding the injector lines... still no go
after about 2 hours of on and off cranking, all i got was a faint thump. i decided to remove the injectors, so i
removed the lines,, found a plastic plug in one of the injectors with the line installed over it!
i removed the plug.... and guess what?

it sure starts easy when you got fuel! "

i got to hear it run yesterday, and it runs very well, starts easy on the first compression stroke.
sits on its 6 wheel frame an doesnt walk at all...
the muffler is way to small, that will have to be replaced
the air cleaner is a major source of intake noise, so that to will be replaced with a paper unit and a resonator/muffler

a couple of more short cycle oil changes and further inspection of things like rod brgs, and a better cooling system and it is good to go.

it will likely always be noisier than a slow speed lister, but damn it sure is a sweet little motor.

just an update of what we have been up to in what little spare time we have lately.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

Re: 24/2 petteroid genset startup
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:31:23 AM »
I want........

Doug

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:12:11 PM »
Yeh....where are ya gettin those engines?  Direct from India?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Doug

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »
This sounds like a complete Indian genset, the 6 wheels is a dead give away.

This where we come back to my desire to see an Indian alternator head with a built in charging coil and commutator for starting. Seems such a waste they stop half way with armature style alternator they build.

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »
the engines were part of a bulk buy we did with a local supplier back in march about the time of the EPA ruling change.

we ended up with a bunch of stuff, and are just getting around to uncrating and applying them.

the supplier will remain unnamed as i don't want to have him over run with requests, unless he lets me know it is ok to do so.

it does seem that there are those that are importing these engines, to be delivered soon. not sure how the EPA problems
affect these new engines, hopefully all will be well.

and yes it is a complete indian genset,

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info