Author Topic: Key puller---HELP !!!  (Read 8638 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Key puller---HELP !!!
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
I made a gib key puller and don't seem to be getting anywhere. No problems with the look of the keyway.....it has been soaking in "aero kroil" for a week. I have applied what I think is a lot of pressure or torque to the bolts but no movement yet.
I "squared up" the face of the key with a cutoff wheel so it is straight with the face of the puller.

Any ideas ????

32 coupe
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:51:47 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Key puller---HELP !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
India's method of "fitting" a gibb key leaves a lot to be desired.(beating it to submission)  Rust is not the problem so Kroil is not going to fix it.  Your are on the correct track with your puller. If you can turn in futher past the key head slot to the next puller bolt you will be at a stronger area. Mine has 1/2" grade 8 puller screws and I have tested them severely on a couple jobs. Heating the hub helps a lot. Pulling the head off the key makes for lots of work and is to be avoided.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
I would agree, some gentle heat to the hub would be advised.  Not any more than is needed to smoke that oil you have had it soaking in.  A little shock may also help, a wood block on the end of the crank struck with a big hammer, as well as some tapps on the puller plate may help to shake things loose. 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
Hello 32 coupe,
                     If you enter "gib key  puller" in the SEARCH function on this site you will willfind many useful suggestions on record there. Would be very careful with heat if as i suspect, the Indians have "fitted" the key with the 10 pound fitters tool. You may just create a crack at the point of greatest stress in the flywheel keyway.
         Had written a detailed procedure for making a guide and drilling the key, but the site would not allow me to post until I had reviewed replies posted while I was writing.
 Failed to save it, and lost it. If you think it useful, I can write it up again, though perhaps not tonight, getting late. Hope you succeed without too much drama,
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
I just went through the same process.  Made a puller similar to yours but fitted for the Bamfords I'm working on. 

My draw bolts are 3/4-10' s and the plate is 3/4 thick.

It appears to me that you need to upsize the jacking bolts to get more force.

Here is my puller for the Listers.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
OK, after several hours of tapping, tightening, kicking, swearing and sweating I got the first key off !! I wonder if it was bent when it was "installed" or if I bent it pulling it off ? The puller works good it DOES take time and paitence......the other side will have to wait till I have time to get back to it.

Thanks for everyones help,
32 coupe

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Whoo hoo, 1 down and one to go. Looks to me like you bent.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »
Whoo hoo, 1 down and one to go. Looks to me like you bent.

+1, looks like it was bent during extraction...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
I just went through the same process.  Made a puller similar to yours but fitted for the Bamfords I'm working on. 

My draw bolts are 3/4-10' s and the plate is 3/4 thick.

It appears to me that you need to upsize the jacking bolts to get more force.

Here is my puller for the Listers.

Bob

Thats the same as mine, makes for painless extraction, I just put my air impact on the bolt and they slide right out.
BioDiesel Brewer

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
Aloha 32 coupe,

Obviously, this a manufacturer fault!!!  How anyone could believe that you had anything to do with bending this iron age fastening system whilst standing on your head is beyond me.  You were there.  These nay-Sayers were not!  A little ball-peen work and it'll be as good as new.  Nice recovery.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:25 AM »
Well, for what it's worth, I think you have the better key puller design and the right approach 32 Coupe.  It is much better to exert force such that EITHER the flywheel can move toward the engine OR the key can move away from the engine/flywheel.  When you have a badly stuck key, you never know which direction will take less force to accomplish the mission...and less is best for this mission.  If you just try to pull the key away from the engine, you will eventually encounter a badly stuck key that you will break the head off...and then you have a really bad situation.  One needs to proceed slow and carefully as you have done.  

Bob B.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:40:43 AM by sailawayrb »

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
Maybe it is just the perspective, or the bend, but that key looks like it has very little taper...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Standard Gibb key taper is 1/8" per foot. You are not going to see the taper in 3" of key, about .030"  The reason we see taper in the Indian keys is they are not made right. Too thin on the small end and too thick on the head end.  When "fitted" the Indan way with a sledge the only pressure point is at the edge of the flywheel hub next to the head of the key and why they crack flywheels.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

bob b

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »
  My puller, of similar design,  worked better when I slipped a piece of aluminum welding rod between the puller and the root of the head.

Yours appears to effectively pull further out on the head, thus bending the key, and forcing the taper tighter into the flywheel/crankshaft.

My 2C

Good luck!!