Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ashwamegh saga begins  (Read 9384 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Ashwamegh saga begins
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
As many of you know I recently acquired a Ashwamegh 2/25. I have finally got a couple of hours to look at it and have seen the following so far:

With the serial number "8" I knew it was one of the ones that had been run at the factory. The usual dirt and crud but very little sand. I checked the pumps and injectors before any teardown and they seem to be fine.

I have removed both heads, one cylinder, fuel lines at this point. I looked at the rod bearings and they could be used as they have little to no marks or damage but new ones are in order. The crank seems to be fine with no big "or small for that matter" marks or scratches. A little polishing should be fine for this.

The "squash" looks WAY to wide but not to worry, as we all know this too has a fix !

I think the word "hone" must have some other meaning such as "go home" in the Indian language because the walls have about 6 or 8 scratches (meaning hone marks) on them and that is it ! The walls are clean and in good shape.

I have been busy with work so no pics yet but this weekend will be time for the making of a key puller and posting of pics !

32 coupe
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Ashwamegh saga begins
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Glad she looks good inside. You never know what you'll find though. My Ashwemegh always a couple of small bubble in the cooling tank every few minutes when hot. It was this way for about 5 years. One day had now compression, removed the head to find a bit of rust and 2 pitted streaks on the cylinder wall. The liner had 2 small radial cracks in it! It's the only defective liner in a 'roid I've ever heard of.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
I get the tiny bubbles, too, Tom.  I assumed it was my cylinder head, which has  some suspicious looking hairline flaws,  but I'll keep an eye on the liner as well over time.  Thanks for the tip!
Best Wishes, Bruce

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:06:12 AM »
I have a similar engine, a Powerline 24/2 in line for same work you are about to do so blaze a clear trail ok? LOL 
I am pretty sure that the squish is set wider on the higher RPM engines with no change over valve. somewhere I have a link to specs if I can find it. I have had mine running briefly and it has more problems than care to type up here. It is coming all the way down.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »
In my experience, the hone marks come off VERY fast when there is a source of fine grit in the engine.  My engine had most of the hone marks gone when I initially checked it. I re-honed, and then watched those disappear very quickly. I thought I must have gotten a bad, soft liner.  Only after I found the gob of greasy sand under the piston crown did the re-re-honing actually last to 2000 hrs and still somewhat present.  I never would have believed this if I hadn't seen it myself.

So if you get an engine with virtually no hone marks, one real possibility is that the Rajkot test run took them out. It does seat the rings very fast, so they probably think using gritty oil is fast break in feature.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:56:13 PM by BruceM »

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:53:47 AM »

Hey all,
Looks like the "squash" is about right at 0.095 to 0.105 according to Georges site. Mine looked right at that on teardown. One of the injector rollers is locked up so I guess I'll look for a roller bearing for both of them.

Looks like one intake valve was leaking back into the intake manifold.

Bore has marks where the ring was stuck....

Crank looks good so far just dirty.

Lots of work ahead !!

32 coupe
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:11:04 AM by 32 coupe »
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:49 AM »

Dont' stare at the picture too long, these gears have been know to explode at any given moment !!!

This will hopefully fix half the problem....gotta' make that offset bolt !!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:15:48 AM by 32 coupe »
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30