Puppeteer

Author Topic: Chewed Up Idler  (Read 14550 times)

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
Re: Chewed Up Idler
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »
Ken & List, When Tim (Sawmiller) indicated his idler shaft, he said it had an 8 thou offset. Perhaps this problem is mainly one of shoddy assembly. When I looked at my friends 6-1 today, there is nothing to indicate that it is offset, ie: no line, arrow or paint stripe, do we use the location of the oiling groove as an indication? who knows. It would seem that if this offset were installed toward the crank/cam gears, it may be running to deep, causing the sharpened gear teeth and eventual failure. Hopefully Mike will check some of his idler shafts to determine if the 8 thou offset is close to a standard, and if so, in what direction the offset should favor to get as close as possible to proper mesh clearance. The drive to make a solution, though admirable, may be entirely unnecessary, as well as not being as reliable long term. I agree with Rocket and my own somewhat limited experience, gear drive should be the best, followed by chain, the belt is not a viable solution for this application as it is not durable enough (VWs need their belts replaced as do all belt driven cam drives). To sum it up, if the offset idler shaft is standard, the cause for most of the failures could very likely be incorrect assembly, which leaves us just another thing to check for when inspecting our engines before first fire. Ken, hope your up and running soon.

Regards,

Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 12:57:57 AM »
Is there a chance that the idler gear seized to the pinion? When I took this one apart I had to drive the idler out of the gear. If this is the case the crank gear would tear the teeth off of the idler. I would post pictures but coppermine and I are not getting along right now.
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 01:15:52 AM »
Ken, do you still have the old camshaft? Would you be interested in sending it to me for modification? I'll look at some of my other camshafts tomorrow to determine the possibility. I think I can turn the cam gear off of the hub and shrink a sprocket on it. It wouldn't hurt to have some rivets or bolts holding it also if there is room, although a good shrink fit shouldn't need it.  I have a 16/2 crank that is missing the crank gear. I can mike it but its no guarantee that it is the same size as the other listeroids.

Mike
I'll send one to you Monday morning if I can find you mailing address.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid