Author Topic: 8/1 for sale in the midwest  (Read 4616 times)

38ac

• View Profile
8/1 for sale in the midwest
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
I guess you guys searching don't need to be told how seldom these come up for sale in the midwest nor reminded that freight and importation hassles are HUGE considerations. I am offering this 1958 production 8/1 to my friends here first. It is located in central Ohio.

The story,
Was sold to me as "running well 3 years ago"  I have removed the crankcase cover and given the internals the "look and shake" test.  I saw or felt nothing that bothers me inside the engine. The injection pump plunger (not the rack) is stuck and the plunger that operates the oil pump is stuck. In my experience this is commen for engines that are sitting out and not run. Has aluminum piston which is correct for an 8/1. Timing gears look A-1. Small amount of rust from condensation. The flywheels are not matched. The  trapezoid flywheel is original to the engine per the serial number and the SOM flywheel is a field replacement. Was shipped with a radiator and has the 90 degree outlets for water. handy for some installations and hard item to find. Also has a single V-belt pulley on each side behind the flywheels.  The engine has no compression. It is leaking from both valves. My guess is that rust and carbon is holding the valves off the seats.  My guess again is it will run with cleaning and tinkering only but who knows??

Offers over $2500 as-is will be considered. It can also be purchased overhauled and warrentied which is how it will be sold if not bought by somebody here.  Please PM or Email me with offers/questions
 Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:42:11 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
Re: 8/1 for sale in the midwest
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
Couple more pictures

mixedangased

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:24:13 AM »
for that sort of money you can have my 8/1 somac which is running  :o ( alt needs sorting tho)

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:28:34 AM »
for that sort of money you can have my 8/1 somac which is running  :o ( alt needs sorting tho)

But the key difference is that your SOM set is not presently located in the USA :D

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »

Address for drop point cheerfully sent and cash awaiting  ;)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Guys I have several offers for this engine and it is going to be sold so if you have interest,,,,

Also in fairness to those in the hunt I am going to cut this deal off to new bids with last day being Sunday March 18, 2012.  Then I will ask those people only for one last and best offer and it will be sold. No drawn out process here.

Thanks for your interest,
Butch

Engine is sold, thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:51:23 PM by 38ac »