Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ashwamegh 2-20----should I buy ??  (Read 5244 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Ashwamegh 2-20----should I buy ??
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
Hey guys,
I ran across a Ashwamegh 2-20 and may have the chance to pick it up for $2500 to $3000 US.
It has never been run and is still on the orginal shipping crate. The man who has it says he has owned it for 12 years and is willing to part with it at this time.

I think it is a pretty good deal but just thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

As many of you know I have run my Metro 6-1 for many hours and did not do a teardown before running it.  If I get the Ashwamegh I will do a complete teardown and paint before using it.

Any thoughts or warning before I call the man ??

32 coupe

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:58:33 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Ashwamegh 2-20----should I buy ??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »
Our current twin cylinder kits are selling at $3250. If that Ashwamegh unit is located near you, then you will also be saving some shipping expenses. It sounds to me like you are in the right price range at $2500 to $3000 to save a little money. IF that is the right engine for your project!

Maybe an analysis of your needs would be in order first... do you want to contend with twin-cylinder issues? Do you specifically need 20hp?
The clone kits can be had from 6 hp up to 20 hp in single cylinder versions and 12 to 30 in the twins.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »
If I was going to go bigger, I would NOT go the listeroid twin route...  This is purely on what I have read and feeling toward the configuration.  They have had more camshaft issues.  They are not particularly smoother due to their configuration.  With these issues, I would personally prefer a larger simpler single, or a small modern 3-4 cylinder that will run smoother... 

My .02...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »
Ohh baby, that Ashwamegh should come with chrome push rods! Doesn't make it run any better but they do look nice. That's one of the things I like about mine. It also has a chrome breather cover and nut on the valve cover. Other than that they are about the same as any other 'roid. Change out the idler immediately if it is not a bronze one as the did have lots of trouble with that.

I wasn't aware they were bringing in engines 12 years ago, seems like they came on the scene around 2002. Price seems good, let us know how it works out.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
OK guys,
I called the man today and am going over (other side of the state for me) next week to see him.

Ronmar,
I value your input but it is just a toy for me as I really don't NEED the thing at all. I read somewhere on this site or maybe the other site ( you know the one) a guy near me has one and he has about 1200 hours on it with no problems ??

I'll keep everyone up to date as I go.

32 coupe

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:30 AM »
Well??? ???
foot tapping the floor
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
I am going to see it this wednesday or thursday !
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Well I finally made it over today to see the engine.....after a little " horse tradeing " we made a deal and I will be going back over next thursday to pick it up !!!

I'll post some pics at that point.

WOW, a twin to play with, I'm definately excited about it !!

32 coupe
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
Glad to hear it! ;)  The twins are both fun and aggrivating. They have thier own set of tuning and balance problems to keep your mind and fingers busy.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel