Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel use  (Read 11685 times)

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Fuel use
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
I am not in a "lab", I'm just doing "backyard engineering".
Gary, Same here, my engine room is an old repurposed cinderblock pumphouse that was on my property when we bought it.  I added a "T" fitting on the system just before the fuel filter.  To this fitting I added a valve and another T where the injector return line could be tied in.  This line then ran straight up from the "T" in a clear line to an old gear oil jug turned funnel taped to a clamp hooked to a rafter.  I put a mark on this clear line, shutoff the fuel valve on the tank and opened the valve up to the funnel.  I could run the fuel down to the mark, and that would be where I started the stopwatch and then add carefully measured ammounts of fuel to the funnel for as long as I chose to run the test. During the testing I was taking voltage and current readings every minute.  At the end of a run, the math began, averaging the load data and crunching the fuel burnt VS time to generate the fuel consumption numbers...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:07 PM »
An old rule of thumb for diesels is 18 hp per gallon per hour.  Or 6 hp per 1/3 gallon/hr.  Or 6 hp per 43 ounces/hr. 

Quinn
.   Either using Imperial gallons or a modern turbo inter poles diesel.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
Backyard fuel consumption for a 6/1 running a 1.5hp centrifugal pump 24-7 used 8 gal every 24 hrs.=.333 gal/hr pumping out a Hazel nut orchard during a very wet year.......not scientific at all....
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
xyzer,   is this your system?      NICE, NICE, NICE!    I REALLY like this a lot!   Can I get more photos and maybe some measurements and details on how you did this?      I am no welder,   but I have a friend that welds roll cages for race cars and such that is going to do it for me.      Anything you could do to help me avoid years of trial and error would be greatly appreciated.      This would be PERFECT for my needs at our place.

Thanks,
Cowboy

cashflo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 05:48:12 AM »
Fuel usage will also vary based on ambient air temp.
my ford 7.3l gets 18mpg in summer 80 deg plus  and 15mpg when its below 40 deg.

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
Fuel usage will also vary based on ambient air temp.
my ford 7.3l gets 18mpg in summer 80 deg plus  and 15mpg when its below 40 deg.

Part of the difference could be the crappy winter fuel blend most states require. 

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 04:35:34 AM »

32coupe,

Some of the METRO's were direct injections heads.
What's yours ?
That could have some bearing on your fuel consumption.

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
veggie,
To be truthfull I don't know....I bought it and basically have just run it.  I did a little checking before running it but as I have said elsewhere I must be one of the lucky ones because I have had no problems other than little things.

After talking with BruceM I have decided to check the big end bearings but I just have not had time to do so.

I have about 2 hundred hours on it at this point. My thoughts were to run it as much as possible then do a complete teardown, paint and rebuild before I take it to my place in Kentucky.

I will keep everyone posted when this happens.

Gary Lane    aka    32 coupe
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"